#EatWellLiveWell: Kale Quiche
by UnityPoint Clinic - July 14, 2015
Kale broke onto the scene as the new superfood king of the kitchen but does it have any claim to the throne? This vitamin-rich veggie not only reigns supreme, it has the pedigree to silence the suspicion. Maintain a healthy heart, promote digestive health, reduce your risk for osteoporosis, and even strengthen and beautify your hair and skin with this power packed food.
- Heart Health. Vitamins C and B6, along with fiber and potassium, give your heart the fuel it needs to keep pumping and fight heart disease.
- Digestive Regularity. The natural fiber in Kale allows you to keep your body regular.
- Combat Osteoporosis. Vitamin K promotes calcium absorption in your bones making way for strong bones and healthy joints. One cup of kale is over 500% of your daily value of Vitamin K, making it a powerhouse.
- Skin and Hair Health. Packed with vitamin C and vitamin A, kale boosts the growth of bodily tissue (like hair and skin) as well as maintains collagen in healthy skin cells.
- Reduce Cancer Risks. The dark green color in Kale isn’t just for looks, the chlorophyll found in kale has proven to be effective at blocking the carcinogenic effects of heterocyclic amines found in grilled foods.
Kale brings so much to the table including combating cancer, preventing heart disease, and promoting bone health; it’s no wonder this superfood is everywhere. Here’s a scrumptious Kale Quiche recipe that will allow you to start your day off the healthy way, with Kale!
Recipe: Kale Quiche
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 small leek, white and light-green parts only, sliced
- 4 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8-inch pie dish.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add and steam kale until tender, approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove kale from the steamer and place in the greased pie dish, and then add sliced leek and cherry tomatoes.
- Beat eggs in a bowl until smooth and then stir in milk, shredded Italian cheese blend, rosemary, sea salt, and ground black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie dish with the kale, leeks and tomatoes. Stir gently until all ingredients are combined.
- Bake quiche in the oven until the center has set, about 30 minutes. Remove the quiche from the oven and top with grated Parmesan cheese. Place the quiche back in the oven until the top is lightly browned, about 20 additional minutes.
110 calories, 7 g total fat, 106 mg cholesterol, 217 mg sodium, 4.1 g total carbohydrates, .4 g dietary fiber, 8 g protein
Sign up for our monthly LiveWell with UnityPoint Health email updates today to find more delicious recipes year round!
Sign-Up for LiveWell with UnityPoint Health Email Updates