Eat Well LiveWell: Spinach-Artichoke Dip
As fall sports are in full-swing, it’s time to talk healthier game-day dips. We may be accustomed to meeting the buffalo-chicken and the French onion dip next to the chips and (hopefully) vegetable sticks, but these dips can be loaded with unhealthy fats and added sodium. As an alternative, check out this better-for-you spinach-artichoke dip!
Choosing to health-ify spinach-artichoke dip means you offer your guests a guilty pleasure, while providing them a great source of fiber. Artichokes are an excellent source of fiber, which works to improve digestive health and helps keep you full longer. Fiber can also help reduce cholesterol, high blood pressure and the progression of diabetes, as well as reducing your risk of developing certain cancers and helping prevent constipation! Spinach also provides some fiber, along with several vitamins and minerals. Bet you never thought about how healthy this dip could be!
Asiago and fontina cheese means this dip still has that rich, cheesy flavor. By using fat-free cream cheese and Greek yogurt, your dip will be as creamy as ever, with less fat than a traditional recipe. Add some garlic, black pepper and red pepper flakes for a spicy kick, and your spinach-artichoke dip is sure to be a big win. Try this out on your family and friends, and test them to see if they even notice the difference!
10+ servings per recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Ready in: 20 minutes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons roasted minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix artichoke hearts, spinach, cream cheese, asiago cheese, fontina cheese and Greek yogurt together in a bowl. Stir red pepper flakes, minced garlic and black pepper through the mixture; spread into a casserole dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until warm, about 8 minutes.
156 Calories, 15g Protein, 6.6g Fat, 11g Carbohydrates, 5.8g Fiber, 555mg Sodium