As part of our mission of being a teaching organization, LifeFlight offers a Fly-Along Program for medical professionals. This program allows participants the opportunity to gain experience by being involved in the medical transport service.
- Fly-along participants are expected to act professionally and function as an "observer only" under the direct supervision of the LifeFlight crew members.
- Fly-along participants are required to be at least 18 years of age, certified EMT-B, I, P, PS, physician, nurse, resident physician or other healthcare provider as approved by the LifeFlight manager.
- Fly-along participants must be in good health and should not be suffering from any illness that is disruptive to operations on the day of their fly-along shift.
- Pregnant females must have a note of permission from their physician prior to flying.
Participants in the Fly-Along Program will be able to:
- Gain understanding of air medical transport.
- Understand hazards of hot loading/unloading of patients.
- Understand the role of the fly-along participant.
- Discuss the unique teams associated with the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines.