Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit features a 12-bed, all private-room facility that is staffed by pediatric critical care doctors. It is located on the second floor of the north wing on the Iowa Methodist Medical Center/Blank Children's Hospital campus. The intensive care team helps care for critically-ill or injured infants, children and teens.
In addition, the Pediatric Transport Team provides children throughout the state access to a higher level of care. The Transport Team brings critical care expertise to children by a pediatric nurse who is under the medical direction of a pediatric critical care or pediatric emergency medicine physician.
In March 2017, we opened a new Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. In order to enhance the care we provide, the following will be part of the new PICU:
- 12 single patient rooms with lots of storage and space, including a private bathroom and shower.
- Family Consultation Room where the health care team can meet with families to discuss their child’s plan of care.
- Family Lounge with a kitchenette and comfortable seating for family members to have a space to spend time outside of their child’s room.
- State-of-the-art design with equipment easily accessible from a ceiling boom and features that allow staff to monitor patients efficiently and act quickly as needed.
- Patient and family-centered environment with a pull-out bed and reclining chair for families, privacy curtain, two televisions and an individual sound system.