Preventing Birth Defects
Preparing Your Body for Pregnancy
While not all birth defects can be prevented, here are some things you can do before and during pregnancy:
- Take a vitamin with 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid every day.
- Don't smoke or drink alcohol.
- Don't use marijuana or other "street drugs".
- Talk to your doctor about vaccinations.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water to prevent infections.
- See your healthcare professional regularly.
Check out these sites for more information on preventing birth defects:
CDC - Centers for Disease Control
March of Dimes