Low Milk Supply Suggestions
- Increase nursing/pumping every 1-3 hours, daytime feedings at least and once at night for at least 3-4 days and to 7 days if possible.
- Pump after nursing 10 min. of comfortable suction and rapid cycling 10 min. (lanolin application prior maybe needed) this is to bluff the breast to make more milk. You may not get anything and that is okay.
- Mom should nuzzle when she can (skin to skin), and allow baby to do comfort suckling.
- Mom should use breast massage and consider hands on pumping.
- Continue to double pump at least 20 min. per pumping session.
When away from baby:
- Try to increase fluid intake (8 glasses of water) and remember to have 4 servings of calcium daily while making milk.
- Increase caloric intake with lots of whole grains (oatmeal, flax).
- Pace your activities to conserve energy. Ask for help with household tasks.
- R/O if thyroid concerns, life style changes or stressors, poor caloric intake recently?
If no sufficient change is seen, please call Allen Hospital's Lactation Consultant at (319) 235-3620 for further evaluation.