How do I know my baby is getting enough milk?
- Your breasts feel heavier as you make more milk.
- Your breasts begin to feel softer after nursing.
- You hear more and more swallows with each feeding.
- In the hospital, babies should have about 1 wet and 1 dirty diaper for each day of age.
- By 5-6 days of age, baby should have 6 or more wets and 2-3 or more dirty diapers each 24 hours.
- The wet diapers become larger and heavier, the dirty diapers should change to greenish-brownish or runny yellow stools by 4-5 days of age.
- By 4-5 days of age, babies begin to gain about ½ to 1 oz each day.
Please call Allen Hospital's Lactation Consultant with questions at (319) 235-3620.