What should I eat while breastfeeding?
- Eat a well balanced diet with plenty of fiber.
- Drink plenty of fluids - you should never feel thirsty.
- If you do not eat dairy products, you may need a calcium supplement. Talk to your doctor.
- Use caffeine in moderation (1-2 sources daily)
- Avoid nicotine. If you must smoke, cut down and only smoke after you have nursed baby or pumped.
- Do not use illicit street drugs while breastfeeding.
Call Allen Hospital's Lactation Service for questions about medications at (319) 235-3620.