Updates, Closings & Restrictions
Please Call Ahead Before Any Visit & Wear a Mask or Face Covering
To reduce community spread of COVID-19, we're asking all patients to please call ahead before visiting a clinic. If you have an appointment at a UnityPoint Health location, please wear a mask or face covering except for children under two years old, anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated or unable to remove the mask without assistance.
UnityPoint Health – Waterloo Alerts
Hospital Visitor Restrictions
UnityPoint Health – Allen Hospital, Community Memorial Hospital and Grundy County Memorial Hospital are restricting hospital visitors, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All routine visiting at the hospitals has been suspended until the transmission of COVID-19 is no longer a threat to our patients, staff and community.
The decision to restrict visitors was difficult and made only after careful consideration. We recognize there are times when having a visitor or family member present is crucial. No visitors will be allowed other than the exceptions listed below. Please review these things to consider before visiting.
- Obstetric patients may have one partner accompany them
- Nursery and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) patients may have one birth parent plus one significant other who must remain in the room for the duration of the visit
- Patients who are at the end-of-life may have two visitors
- Patients with disruptive behavior, where a family member is key to their care, may have one visitor
- Patients who have altered mental status or developmental delays (where caregiver provides safety) may have one visitor
- Minors under the age of 18 may have one visitor, parents, or guardian
- Patients undergoing surgery or procedures may have one visitor who may arrive 1 hour prior to the procedure/surgery and must leave the hospital as soon as the procedure/surgery is complete and the patient is either ready for discharge or being moved back to the Inpatient Unit
All visitors must be healthy. For the safety of patients, staff and other visitors, individuals with symptoms such as fever greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit, cough, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath, fatigue, chills, vomiting or diarrhea should postpone their visits until further notice.
Exceptions may be made in certain situations and can be discussed with your patient care team.
Allen Hospital has closed entrances 1, 3, 5, 6 and 9 to the public.
Entrance 2 will remain open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday – Friday
- Emergency Entrance 4 will be open 24/7, as usual
- Entrance 8 will remain open 5 a.m. – 7 p.m. every day Monday-Friday and 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday
We appreciate your understanding during these uncertain times. Our goal is to protect our patients, staff and the community.
For more ways to protect against the spread of COVID-19 and seasonal influenza, and for the latest updates and guidance in this rapidly evolving situation, please visit the websites of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov or Iowa Department of Public Health at www.idph.iowa.gov.
Elective Surgeries & Procedures
UnityPoint Health – Allen Hospital, Grundy County Memorial Hospital and Community Memorial Hospital have plans in place to resume elective surgeries and procedures beginning May 11. These services, including all outpatient imaging procedures, will be reintroduced gradually with sensitivity to how the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve and ensuring guiding principles continues to be safely met.
This follows the announcement from Governor Kim Reynolds on April 24 that elective surgeries may be resumed. Allen Hospital suspended these procedures March 19 to help protect valuable workforce resources while also preserving supplies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The plan includes adherence to requirements such as sufficient supply of personal protective equipment, reserving adequate intensive care resources and testing patients for COVID-19 as indicated prior to procedures. The safety of team members, patients and community remains a top priority.
COVID-19 Testing for All Patient Admissions
UnityPoint Health will begin testing all patients admitted to our hospitals for COVID-19 beginning Wednesday, May 6. This will include planned admissions and transfers of all ages who have not been tested for COVID-19 in the prior 48 hours. Currently, we have enough tests and lab capacity for this change. Continuation of the expanded testing is dependent on testing availability. This is in addition to pre-procedural testing that will increase with the resumption of elective procedures.
Medical Record Requests
With visiting restrictions in effect, UnityPoint Health wants to continue to make sure you have access to your medical records. If you need a copy of your medical record, please visit MyUnityPoint, our secure patient website, to access your health information.
- Information about registering for MyUnityPoint can be found by visiting chart.myunitypoint.org
- If you need assistance using or enrolling for MyUnityPoint, please call the support team at (877) 224-4430.
You may also request a copy of your medical record by:
- Contacting the Health Information Management Department at (319) 235-3618
- Emailing the Health Information Management Department at UPH_AMH_ROI@unitypoint.org
- When sending us an email, please include:
- Your full name – first, middle and last names
- Date of birth
- A phone number where we can reach you
- A full description of the information you want to obtain
- Submitting a "Contact Us" request on the hospital website:
- Click on "Contact Us" – located in the top right corner of the home page
- Fill out the indicated required fields
- In the field "Who do you have a question or comment for?" select "Medical Records"
Thank you for your understanding during this critical time.
School-Based Mental Health Therapists Remain Available
Black Hawk-Grundy Mental Health Center school-based mental health therapists, as part of Success Street, remain available for appointments during this time. Appointments with your child's school-based mental health therapist are available at Black Hawk-Grundy Mental Health Center, located at 3251 W. 9th St. in Waterloo. For more information, to schedule an appointment for your child, or to discuss concerns with your child's therapist, please call (319) 234-2893.
UnityPoint Clinic Alerts
Prescription Pick Up
Park and Call Before Picking Up a Prescription
In an effort to limit our staff's exposure to illness, we ask that you park and call your pharmacy when you arrive:
- Prairie Parkway Pharmacy – Please park and call (319) 222-2906 before entering the drive-thru or coming inside.
- Allen Hospital Clinic Pharmacy – Please park and call (319) 235-3777 and your prescriptions will be brought to your vehicle
COVID-19 Follow-Up Clinic
UnityPoint Clinic has opened a follow-up clinic for patients who have tested positive for COVID-19. The clinic is located in the tent set up outside the Allen Hospital emergency department and will be open 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
As the novel coronavirus continues to spread in the community, the purpose of the follow-up clinic will be to maintain contact with patients to assess symptoms and determine if higher levels of care are required. Patients will be connected to this service after evaluation or treatment at a respiratory illness clinic or other UnityPoint Health facility.
The follow-up will occur in one of three ways:
- On-site visits to the tent to physically assess symptoms of respiratory illness
- Communication through a secure text messaging system that includes instruction and guidance for self-monitoring of symptoms
- Stable patients may have a virtual visit scheduled with his or her primary care provider
The tent was originally set up and activated as an extension of the Allen Hospital emergency department last month. With emergency volumes lower than expected, the space has been repurposed for the follow-up clinic.
Patients experiencing respiratory illness symptoms such as fever, cough or shortness of breath or have had contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19 are still urged to call (319) 833-5888. This will connect them with personnel at one of two dedicated respiratory illness clinics to be advised on next steps.
Clinic Visitor Restrictions
In our clinics, we're restricting visitors to one support person for adult appointments and two support people (with no siblings) for pediatric appointments. All visitors/support people must be in good health (no fever, running nose or cough during the last seven days) and must be age 16 or older (including siblings).
Virtual Clinic Visits
When appropriate, more clinic visits are being completed over the phone to limit face-to-face interaction and promote physical distancing. Situations best-suited for a telephone visit include follow-up on chronic medical conditions, medication management or other appointments for established patients that don't rely on a physical examination from a provider.
Virtual Waiting Rooms
UnityPoint Health has partnered with WELL Health, Inc. to create a virtual waiting room. This has been implemented in the Waterloo region allows patients to notify the healthcare facility when they arrive by responding to an automated appointment reminder. The patient will then receive text instructions on registration and when and how to safely enter the building.
UnityPoint Clinic Family Medicine – Grundy Center
Closed Saturdays until further notice. Please use the Urgent Care near to you:
Prairie Parkway – Cedar Falls | 5100 Prairie Parkway, Cedar Falls | (319) 553-0828
- Marshalltown Medical Park | 55 Central Iowa Dr., Marshalltown | (641) 854-8550
Cancellations & Updates
Classes, Support Groups, Meetings & Events
Breastfeeding Support Group
The Breastfeeding Support Groups are cancelled through May 31. Please call (319) 235-3620 for help with your questions or to set up individual lactation consultations.
Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehab
Cardiac & pulmonary rehab programs at Allen Hospital have been suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.
For the safety of patients, visitors and hospital staff, our goal is to minimize the number of individuals coming into the hospital when not medically necessary. As this situation evolves, we will reach out to patients directly regarding when we plan to resume your rehabilitation at Allen Hospital. If you are a patient and have any immediate concerns about your health, contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Changes in Department or Business Hours
Home Medical Equipment Stores Closed
Effective March 24, all Home Medical Equipment retail locations are closed. Please call (319) 235-5285 to arrange an appointment, schedule curbside pickup or a home delivery.
As of March 10, 2020, UnityPoint Health is restricting in-person, vendor visits for sales and marketing calls, routine business reviews, and any other non-critical meetings. Vendor visits required for direct patient care or business critical functions (ex: equipment repair) are permissible with the appropriate screening and precautions. This change is to reduce risk of exposure to patients, team members and vendors during the global outbreak of COVID-19.
We will communicate accordingly when in-person vendor visits are reinstated. Thank you for your cooperation.