Updates, Closings & Restrictions
Please Call Ahead Before Any Visit & Wear a Mask or Face Covering
To reduce community spread of COVID-19, we're asking all patients to please call ahead before visiting a clinic. If you have an appointment at a UnityPoint Health location, please wear a mask or face covering except for children under two years old, anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated or unable to remove the mask without assistance.
Safe Care, Your Way
Please be kind to our team members if they remind you of our visitor and masking policies. We want to keep everyone safe.
Learn more about the precautions we are taking to ensure your safety.
UnityPoint Health – Waterloo Alerts
Hospital Visitor Restrictions
As part of our commitment to keep our patients and visitors as safe as possible, UnityPoint Health – Allen Hospital, Community Memorial Hospital and Grundy County Memorial Hospital have the following visitor restrictions in place:
Only 1 visitor/support person per patient
- Visitor must be a significant other or caregiver of the patient and will be the same person for the duration of the patient's hospital stay
- Children under16 years old are not allowed to visit or accompany an adult visitor or patient. Adults who arrive to the hospital with children will be asked to make arrangements for the child to be picked up.
- Pediatric patients may have both parents present
- No visitors are allowed for patients in isolation
- If your loved one is near his/her end-of-life, immediate family members may visit
- Nursing staff will further discuss these exceptions with the family
- Religious visitations by clergy, Eucharistic ministers and other faith-based leaders are allowed.
These visitors will be subject to screening for illness upon entry, required to wear a mask and must stay in the patient room at all times during the visit.
- Visiting hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. All visitors are asked to leave the hospital at 8 p.m. Exceptions may occur within the OB/NICU and pediatric departments, as well as in end-of-life situations.
- All visitors/support people must be in good health and will be screened prior to entrance into the hospital for fever and other symptoms related to COVID-19.
- Masks will be required to be worn at all times, in both patient rooms and hallways.
- Visitors must stay in the patient room during visit. Staff will direct visitors to nearest public restroom when needed.
- Visitors are reminded to wash and sanitize their hands upon entering and exiting a patient's room.
- Visitors are encouraged to stay on the hospital campus but may leave to retrieve personal belongings if necessary.
- Please note:
- Waiting areas remain closed and no visitors will be allowed to use them at this time.
- The hospital cafeteria remains closed to visitors. Meal trays can be ordered through room service and delivered to the patient room. Costs are $5, $8 and $11.38. Payment can be made via debit or credit card.
- Visitors may use food delivery services. Food must be picked up from the screening entrance as food vendors are not allowed access to the nursing units.
Allen Hospital has closed entrances 1, 3, 5, 6 and 9 to the public.
Entrance 2 will remain open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday – Friday
- Emergency Entrance 4 will be open 24/7, as usual
- Entrance 8 will remain open Monday-Friday from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 6 a.m. – 8 p.m., Sunday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
We appreciate your understanding during these uncertain times. Our goal is to protect our patients, staff and the community.
For more ways to protect against the spread of COVID-19 and seasonal influenza, and for the latest updates and guidance in this rapidly evolving situation, please visit the websites of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov or Iowa Department of Public Health at www.idph.iowa.gov.
Elective Surgeries & Procedures
UnityPoint Health – Allen Hospital, Grundy County Memorial Hospital and Community Memorial Hospital have plans in place to resume elective surgeries and procedures beginning May 11. These services, including all outpatient imaging procedures, will be reintroduced gradually with sensitivity to how the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve and ensuring guiding principles continues to be safely met.
This follows the announcement from Governor Kim Reynolds on April 24 that elective surgeries may be resumed. Allen Hospital suspended these procedures March 19 to help protect valuable workforce resources while also preserving supplies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The plan includes adherence to requirements such as sufficient supply of personal protective equipment, reserving adequate intensive care resources and testing patients for COVID-19 as indicated prior to procedures. The safety of team members, patients and community remains a top priority.
COVID-19 Testing for All Patient Admissions
UnityPoint Health will begin testing all patients admitted to our hospitals for COVID-19 beginning Wednesday, May 6. This will include planned admissions and transfers of all ages who have not been tested for COVID-19 in the prior 48 hours. Currently, we have enough tests and lab capacity for this change. Continuation of the expanded testing is dependent on testing availability. This is in addition to pre-procedural testing that will increase with the resumption of elective procedures.
Medical Record Requests
With visiting restrictions in effect, UnityPoint Health wants to continue to make sure you have access to your medical records. If you need a copy of your medical record, please visit MyUnityPoint, our secure patient website, to access your health information.
- Information about registering for MyUnityPoint can be found by visiting chart.myunitypoint.org
- If you need assistance using or enrolling for MyUnityPoint, please call the support team at (877) 224-4430.
You may also request a copy of your medical record by:
- Contacting the Health Information Management Department at (319) 235-3618
- Emailing the Health Information Management Department at UPH_AMH_ROI@unitypoint.org
- When sending us an email, please include:
- Your full name – first, middle and last names
- Date of birth
- A phone number where we can reach you
- A full description of the information you want to obtain
- Submitting a "Contact Us" request on the hospital website:
- Click on "Contact Us" – located in the top right corner of the home page
- Fill out the indicated required fields
- In the field "Who do you have a question or comment for?" select "Medical Records"
Thank you for your understanding during this critical time.
School-Based Mental Health Therapists Remain Available
Black Hawk-Grundy Mental Health Center school-based mental health therapists, as part of Success Street, remain available for appointments during this time. Appointments with your child's school-based mental health therapist are available at Black Hawk-Grundy Mental Health Center, located at 3251 W. 9th St. in Waterloo. For more information, to schedule an appointment for your child, or to discuss concerns with your child's therapist, please call (319) 234-2893.
UnityPoint Clinic Alerts
Prescription Pick Up
Curbside, Drive-thru or Pick-up at Our Retail Pharmacies
Allen Clinic Pharmacy and Prairie Parkway Pharmacy offer in-store medication pick-up, drive-up service (curbside and drive-thru pick-up), home delivery and mail out services. If picking-up inside of the pharmacy, masking and social distancing are required.
- Drive-thru and Curbside options are great grab and go options!
- Allen Clinic Pharmacy — call (319) 235-3777, option 3 to have your prescription delivered to your car
- Prairie Parkway Pharmacy — call (319) 222-2906 ext 4 to have your prescription ready before coming to the drive-thru
- Free Mail Out and Home Delivery options are available too. Give us a call!
Clinic Visitor Restrictions
In our clinics, we're restricting visitors to one support person for adult appointments and two support people (with no siblings) for pediatric appointments. All visitors/support people must be in good health (no fever, running nose or cough during the last seven days) and must be age 16 or older (including siblings).
Virtual Clinic Visits
When appropriate, more clinic visits are being completed over the phone to limit face-to-face interaction and promote physical distancing. Situations best-suited for a telephone visit include follow-up on chronic medical conditions, medication management or other appointments for established patients that don't rely on a physical examination from a provider.
Virtual Waiting Rooms
UnityPoint Health has partnered with WELL Health, Inc. to create a virtual waiting room. This has been implemented in the Waterloo region allows patients to notify the healthcare facility when they arrive by responding to an automated appointment reminder. The patient will then receive text instructions on registration and when and how to safely enter the building.
Cancellations & Updates
Classes, Support Groups, Meetings & Events
Breastfeeding Support Group
The Breastfeeding Support Groups are cancelled until further notice. Please call (319) 235-3620 for help with your questions or to set up individual lactation consultations.
Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehab
Cardiac & pulmonary rehab programs at Allen Hospital have been suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.
For the safety of patients, visitors and hospital staff, our goal is to minimize the number of individuals coming into the hospital when not medically necessary. As this situation evolves, we will reach out to patients directly regarding when we plan to resume your rehabilitation at Allen Hospital. If you are a patient and have any immediate concerns about your health, contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Changes in Department or Business Hours
Home Medical Equipment Stores Closed
Effective March 24, all Home Medical Equipment retail locations are closed. Please call (319) 235-5285 to arrange an appointment, schedule curbside pickup or a home delivery.
Gift Shop Open
The Allen Hospital Auxiliary Gift Shop is open to staff-only Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visitors may call (319) 235-3880 during open hours to place an order or order anytime online and we will be happy to deliver to the patient.
As of March 10, 2020, UnityPoint Health is restricting in-person, vendor visits for sales and marketing calls, routine business reviews, and any other non-critical meetings. Vendor visits required for direct patient care or business critical functions (ex: equipment repair) are permissible with the appropriate screening and precautions. This change is to reduce risk of exposure to patients, team members and vendors during the global outbreak of COVID-19.
We will communicate accordingly when in-person vendor visits are reinstated. Thank you for your cooperation.