How do I save my milk?
- Store breast milk in clean storage containers or plastic bags made for breast milk storage
- Date all milk that you pump and save
- Fresh milk is good 4-6 hours on the counter (at normal room temperature), 3-8 days in a refrigerator and 6-12 months in a freezer (0-4ºF)
- Fresh milk is good for 24 hours in a cooler
- Thaw frozen milk in a bowl of warm water or overnight in the refrigerator. Use the oldest milk first. (once thawed, swirl/jiggle milk to mix, do not shake vigorously)
- Thawed milk is good 24 hours in the refrigerator and should be used 24 hours after thawing
- Do not microwave breast milk
Please call Allen Hospital's Lactation Consultant with questions at (319) 235-3620.