About Community Memorial Hospital (CMH)
"The best care where and when you need it."
"To be the healthcare provider of choice for citizens of Sumner and the surrounding community."
Core Values: HEART
Health care at its best.
History of Community Memorial Hospital
Community Memorial Hospital (CMH) is located in Sumner, IA. CMH opened its doors on January 1, 1950 and continues to serve patients from several rural communities located in Bremer, Fayette, and Chickasaw counties. Since its beginning, CMH has remained a nonprofit private facility that receives no financial support from either municipal or county tax dollars.
Originally, CMH was a 29-bed acute care facility originating from dreams of the community leaders who had a vision of a health center built solely on private contributions. In 1942, the citizens of Sumner began to feel the need for some kind of health care center. During this time, a local maternity nurse, Mrs. McIntyre or "Auntie Mac," was still going into homes and caring for new mothers and babies when she was needed. In 1944, her home was turned into a maternity ward, which she operated until late 1949. The community began fund raising to build a hospital and by May of 1947 enough money had been collected to formalize the plans. Work began in May of 1948 and the governing board was formed under the by-laws of the Community Club Charter. Since the opening, there were many expansions and building projects to continually improve and modernize the facility to provide quality care and meet the needs of the people of Sumner and surrounding areas.
In 2008, the CMH Board of Directors began investigating significant remodeling options. A Master Facility Plan was conducted the same year. In 2009, after reviewing and contemplating the plan, the Board of Directors voted unanimously to move forward with plans to build a new, replacement facility. A feasibility study was conducted that same year and a financial forecast followed in 2010. With positive results from both, "The Heart of Your Community: Help Build the NEW CMH" capital campaign with a minimum goal of $1.5 million began in July 2010. The $1.5 million mark was hit in February 2011 and the final design and planning was underway. A groundbreaking ceremony was held September 26, 2011. Construction began and continued through all of 2012. On January 13, 2013, the new building was opened for services. The demolition of the old facility and the parking and grounds were completed during the first half of 2013. CMH hosted a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony on September 8, 2013 to dedicate the new facility and mark the beginning of a new chapter in healthcare for CMH and the patients we serve.
On January 1, 2000, CMH became proud partners with Allen Memorial Hospital and a member of the Iowa Health System Community Network. In April 2013, Iowa Health System was renamed to UnityPoint Health and CMH continues to be a member. We are a participating hospital in Blue Cross Blue Shield and are certified for participation in the Federal Insurance Act of 1965 (Medicare). CMH is licensed annually by the Iowa State Department of Health. On May 1, 2001, Community Memorial Hospital became a 25-bed Critical Access Hospital. This designation improves governmental reimbursement while maintaining all hospital operations.
CMH has a professional and supportive staff of more than 90 employees who address many aspects of healthcare and are happy to serve the needs of our area residents.