Funding Tomorrow's Health Care, Today
The spirit of giving is evident at Community Memorial Hospital. The hospital you experience today as a patient or visitor is a result of the gifts of hundreds of individuals, families, businesses and organizations who place a priority on quality health care that's close to home. Their gifts are made through the Friends of CMH Foundation, which is led by a dedicated board comprised of leaders from the communities served by the hospital.
The mission of the Friends of CMH Foundation is to support CMH in improving the health and lives of the communities it serves. The Foundation strengthens community relationships to support our local healthcare needs. Ultimately, the health and lives of those we serve are improved.
Each year, a variety of Ways to Give are available from supporting the hospital's Annual Campaign to considering a Planned Gift or attending a Foundation event.
Annual giving campaigns provide the hospital with the means to maintain state-of-the-art medical technology, refresh older areas of the facility that need a makeover and support scholarships for young people entering healthcare careers. Gifts that support the Annual Campaign come from business sponsors, families, individuals, CMH employees and volunteers.
The gifts come through:
- Memorial & honorarium gifts
- Fundraising events: Fall Plant Sale, Fudge Sale, Giving Tuesday, etc.
- Annual campaigns: Stem & Stein, Employee Giving Campaign, etc.
- Gifts of Grain: Your harvest can help your community! Farmers can turn gifts of agricultural commodities, such as corn and soybeans, into a donation for charity.
There are as many different ways to support CMH as there are needs to be supported. Potential benefactors of the Friends of CMH Foundation will want to consider a number of methods of supporting the Foundation financially. Charitable gift planning can be accomplished in many ways – you may want to begin by contacting the Foundation's Development Director for a discussion of hospital needs, and together with your financial advisor or attorney consider how your estate plan can benefit Friends of CMH Foundation.
Types of planned gifts include:
- Bequests – through a will or other form of estate plan, a deferred gift can provide a gift beyond what current means allows.
- Beneficiary – designating the Foundation as a beneficiary of a retirement plan, life insurance, an annuity, or a will is a way to allow your gift to extend beyond your lifetime.
- Charitable Trust – various trusts can be used to provide a valuable gift to the Foundation.
- Property – this can include a gift of securities, insurance policies, and real estate. In a rural community, there is the potential to include the hospital Foundation as the beneficiary of farmland. Also, stocks, bonds and mutual funds can be donated, often with positive tax consequences for your estate.
As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, gifts to the Friends of CMH Foundation are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law. Specific tax benefits can be discussed in more detail with your attorney or tax advisor.
Each donor is recognized for his or her gift with a thank you that represents your tax receipt, a listing in the Foundation's Annual Report (which is mailed annually) and a permanent spot on the Lifetime Giving Wall for accrued gifts totaling $10,000 or more.
Naming rights for single gifts of $10,000 and above to the Foundation's special capital campaign are available to recognize a donor's outstanding generosity with a room, treatment area, clinic, or other area of the hospital carrying the donor's name.
Ways to Give
All gifts are deeply appreciated and significant. You may mail your donation to:
Friends of CMH
PO Box 148
Sumner, IA 50674
For questions about planned gifts, contact Lynne Niemann, Development Director, at (563) 578-2125 or at Lynne.Niemann@unitypoint.org.