“Just for the Health of It,” I challenge you and your co-workers, family members, and friends to take part in Live Healthy Iowa’s 10 Week Wellness Challenge. The challenge will help businesses, families, churches and organizations across the Siouxland community jump start healthy lifestyle habits for 2017 in a team-based format, while engaging in a fun and friendly competition. The theme for 2017 is “Just for the Health of It!” Taking part in this 10 week challenge will empower you to feel better, look better, and live a longer and healthier life. It is also proven to improve the culture or community, one team at a time, which is a Blue Zone Project goal, to make the healthy choice the easy choice!
What is Live Healthy Iowa (LHI)?
LHI is a program of the Iowa Sports Foundation, a non-profit organization located in Ames. The program was created as a strategic health initiative to address the state’s growing obesity problem. The program’s goal is to make Iowa the healthiest state in the nation and to improve the health and well-being of all Iowans! LHI brings together friends, families, businesses and communities in team-based wellness challenges designated to promote positive lifestyle change.
The 10 Week Wellness Challenge is a simple and affordable opportunity for Iowans to improve their health while engaging in fun, friendly competition. Over the course of 10 weeks, teams of two to ten people track activity minutes and/or weight loss through the Live Healthy Iowa website personal dashboard. The healthy lifestyle habits are promoted throughout the 10 Week Wellness Challenge include: daily physical activity of 30 or more minutes, eating a healthy breakfast, and eating whole foods such as fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, beans, whole grain bread/pasta/rice, healthy fats such as nuts and avocado’s, and lean meats/protein.
Since 2002, LHI participants have lost over 1 million pounds and logged more than 600 million minutes of physical activity!
When does the challenge begin?
LHI’s 10 Week Wellness Challenge takes place from January 23 to March 31, 2017.
How does the challenge work?
- Build a team of two to ten people including co-workers, family or friends. Your team may choose to participate in the physical activity and/or weight loss divisions.
- Select a team captain, name your team, and gather all team members’ e-mail addresses, and T-shirt sizes. Registration is only $20 per participant with free shipping!
- Registration is open from December 19, 2016 through February 6, 2017. Your team captain can register your team online at www.livehealthyiowa.org.
- If the program is a component of your organization’s wellness program, register your team with your assigned Group ID.
- To receive a Group ID for your company or organization, have your administrator contact Johanna Smith, Client Services Manager at 1-888-777-8881 Ext. 111, or email her at Johanna.Smith@livehealthyiowa.org.
- The Group ID must be communicated with all team captains within your company/organization. This will allow you to track how many teams and people are involved in the 10 Week Wellness Challenge to transform your lifestyle behaviors and habits.
- PLEASE NOTE - If your company or organization is located within the Siouxland area, request a group ID and ask Johanna to place your group under the “Live Healthy Siouxland” umbrella. The business or organization with the highest percent of participation will win the Live Healthy Siouxland traveling trophy.
- Log on to www.livehealthyiowa.org where you will have unlimited access to healthy recipes, videos, workouts and health information.
- Throughout the challenge, don’t forget to log your weekly progress online including minutes of physical activity completed and/or your weight each week. You must do this each week to be eligible for any of the incentive prizes given away from LHI.
- LHI challenges you to continue living a healthy lifestyle even after completing the challenge. You will have continued access to all of the resources and tools to help maintain success and celebrate your new view on healthy living.
What is in it for me and what’s new for 2017?
For only $20, participants will receive:
- Ability to sync with mobile apps and devices like Fitbit, Map my walk.
- A personal online dashboard.
- You will receive a $10 discount on registration for LHI statewide finale 5K events. In Sioux City, this takes place on Saturday, April 8, 2017 with a 5K run/walk beginning at 8 AM and the 1K kid’s run at 9 AM.
- Live Healthy Iowa navy blue “Just for the Health of It” T-shirt.
- Weekly motivational emails containing healthy tips and recipes.
- LHI Access Card containing wellness discounts across the state.
- Free registration for Winter Iowa Games and Summer Iowa Games, Fitness Walk, and Zumba.
- Chances to win weekly prizes, such as Subway, Scheels, and Hy-Vee gift cards!
- One-year subscription to the lifestyle magazine of your choice.
Who should I contact for more information?
For more information, contact Johanna Smith, Client Services Manager at Live Healthy Iowa. Email her at Johanna.Smith@livehealthyiowa.org, call her office phone at 1-888-777-8881 ext.111 or call her cell phone at 319-415-6677.
Again, challenge registration begins on December 19, 2016 with the challenge running from January 23 to March 31, 2017.
Don’t wait! Sign up today, make your team of two to ten people and prepare for a year of transformation to energize your body, improve your creativity and focus, and allow your spirit to soar over and through the difficulties and stresses of life!