UnityPoint Health Orthopedic Physician Collaborative
UnityPoint Health has developed a powerful and innovative system-wide Orthopedic Physician Collaborative of independent physicians to share best practices and enhance patient care. It has the following goals:
- To identify best practices and drive change at the local level;
- To implement evidence-based clinical pathways to result in improved patient outcomes;
- To evaluate strategies for cost containment;
- To utilize advanced surgical approaches, innovative technology and procedure, state of the art equipment and minimally invasive techniques;
- To implement care navigation consistently, guiding patients across the care continuum from pre-admission through post-discharge care.
This collaborative has already begun to show clinical improvements, based on its construct of a unique, collaborative network of physicians directing program clinical decisions. It has begun to produce cost efficiencies, disciplined technological and procedural innovation, enhanced patient-centered care navigation and superior quality outcomes.
UnityPoint Health performs well over 5,000 joint replacement surgeries every year, which is why the Orthopedic Physician Collaborative focused immediately on evaluation of how care is delivered across all UnityPoint Health affiliates for this specific population.
The Rapid Recovery Joint Replacement Program at UnityPoint Health is designed to expedite treatment, recovery and restoration of function following hip or knee replacement, with patients being discharged to home as early as 24-36 hours following surgery. Faster recovery means less pain for the patient.
It's important to note that up to 80% of joint replacement surgeries may be appropriate for the UnityPoint Health rapid recovery program. The Rapid Recovery Joint Replacement Program's Key to Success is the Physician's commitment to program components which support the best possible outcome for the patient through education and use of standardized, research-based protocols and pathways. The program is also supported by continuous review of patient outcomes by the care team to identify improvement opportunities.