Trinity is committed to providing the highest level of care to individuals living with epilepsy and seizure disorders. Trinity's Epilepsy Monitoring Center offers state-of-the-art diagnosis, evaluation, medical treatment surgical treatment, and on-going support. Trinity's premier program is the only one of its kind in the Quad Cities region and one of only five in Illinois.
Located at Trinity Rock Island, the monitoring center will give patients and their doctors a new way of detecting and treating the disease with highly technical round-the-clock monitoring of a patient's seizures. Patients will benefit from a multi-disciplinary team of experienced specialists. Our team also includes neurosurgeons, physician's assistants, registered nurses, registered EEG technologists, speech pathologists, pharmacists and case managers.
Trinity offers the most advanced technology available to help establish a clear diagnosis of most types of epilepsy, define the location of the seizure focus in the brain and aid in the establishment of a treatment plan.
These diagnostic procedures include:
- Continuous audiovisual/EEG monitoring which allows recording of the electrical activity during the seizure
- EEG Source Imaging allowing a sophisticated analysis of EEG and direct visualization of the likely seizure focus on the patient-brain MRI
- MRI revealing a structural brain abnormality causing epilepsy
- MR Spectroscopy localizing the seizure focus non-invasively
- PET Scan aiding in the non-invasive localization of the seizure focus
When indicated, epilepsy surgery is performed using sophisticated computerized neurosurgical techniques. Brain tissue is resected or cut away with the goal of achieving complete seizure control.
Patients may also be offered vagus nerve stimulation, a short surgical procedure in which a small electrical device is implanted in the chest. This procedure may be helpful in improving seizure control.