Knee Replacement Surgery
As the trusted provider of knee replacement surgery in the Quad Cities area, UnityPoint Health - Trinity's leading orthopedic surgeons are here to assess your joint health, prepare you for surgery and help you return to the independent and active life you led before the pain began.
About Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement surgery is a surgical procedure to replace the weight-bearing surfaces of the knee to relieve pain and disability. The surgery is primarily performed to repair damage caused by osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and traumatic knee injury. During knee replacement surgery, surgeons either partially or totally replace damaged knees with an artificial implant to restore knee function.
- Partial Knee Replacement: Partial knee replacement surgery involved an implant in just one or two compartments of the knee and retains any undamaged parts.
- Total Knee Replacement: Total joint replacement surgery replaces all three compartments of the knee joint with an implant.
Reasons for Knee Replacement Surgery
While it may not be the right solution for every patient with knee pain, knee replacement surgery can be a beneficial procedure for those suffering from chronic knee pain or discomfort. If you are considering undergoing knee replacement, speak with your orthopedic surgeon. He or she will look at a few basic criteria to determine whether or not knee replacement surgery is the next step in managing knee pain:
- Severe knee pain and stiffness that makes it difficult to sleep, walk, climb stairs and get in and out of chairs
- Bone and joint damage from osteoarthritis and other conditions shown in X-rays or other imaging
- Ineffective treatment including medication, injections and devices that don't alleviate or manage pain
- Knee deformity in the form of a swollen knee or bowed leg
- Poor quality of life as a result of chronic knee pain that limits freedom and mobility
Benefits of Knee Replacement Surgery
Like with any surgery, there are many risks to consider before opting for knee replacement surgery. However, if and when you and your orthopedic surgeon decide surgery is the best option for your unique needs and goals, you can look forward to:
- Less knee pain
- Greater mobility and freedom
- Increased quality of life
Rapid Recovery Joint Replacement Program
UnityPoint Health - Trinity offers a Rapid Recovery Joint Replacement Program as a way for patients to get back on track faster after hip and knee replacement. Choosing one of our qualified "rapid recovery" Orthopedic Collaborative Physicians means you gain access to a new approach to surgery that will help you:
- Get better faster
- Have less pain
- Be up and walking just hours after surgery
- Go home sooner (likely less than the national average by 1 or 2 days)
- Have someone you choose ready to help you. This person is your "Coach" and is with you before and after surgery
From the time of your knee replacement surgery to the point of your recovery, Quad Cities' leading orthopedic surgeons at UnityPoint Health - Trinity are here to provide exceptional surgical care and ongoing support as you take important steps to leading a more active, pain-free life.