About This ProviderPrint
Shawn Spooner, MD, FAAFP is board-certified in Sports Medicine and Family Medicine. Here are some additional career highlights for Dr. Spooner:
- Dr. Spooner received his medical degree from the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine.
- He completed his residency in Family Medicine with the U.S. Navy at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton and then went on to complete advanced training with a fellowship in Sports Medicine.
- Has practiced operational military and sports medicine with the U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Navy and U.S. Army Special Forces. Experience includes overseas work in Korea and Afghanistan.
- Has experience in performance medicine. Dr. Spooner currently provides his services to many Des Moines area sports teams including: Chow's Gymnastics & Dance, ADM High School, Grandview University and the Des Moines Buccaneers.
- Research interests include injury risk prediction and prevention, post-concussion care and recovery. Has studied and published work on post-concussion recovery, balance screening and the effect of exercise on human immune response to illness.
- Certified to administer the formal Functional Movement Screen (FMS), an injury risk prediction tool. Works with athletes and active individuals to prevent injury through proactive corrective exercise.
- Administers the FUSIONETICS athlete performance system, a program designed to prevent injury, enhance recovery and maximize performance.
- Is a certified/licensed level III US Cycling Coach.
- Learn more about our Sports Medicine services at UnityPoint Clinic
Sports Medicine, Urgent Care, Convenient Care and Walk In
Areas of Interest
Exercise, Nutrition, Sports Medicine
University of Iowa
Family Medicine: Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton
American Board of Family Medicine
Sports Medicine: Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton