Vascular Disease Treatment & Screenings
UnityPoint Health - Methodist is the leading provider of vascular disease treatment and screenings throughout Peoria and the surrounding Central Illinois area. Our team of cardiovascular specialists provide a full range of vascular services, from advanced screening to customized treatment options.
What is Vascular Disease?
Vascular disease is a condition in which arteries become blocked with plaque, a build-up of cholesterol and fatty material. Arteries carry oxygen-rich blood through the body. When arteries are damaged by plaque, blood flow can be slowed or blocked. Without treatment, life-threatening illness can result.
Meet our Vascular Team
Risk Factors for Vascular Disease:
If you identify with the following risk factors for vascular disease, consult your primary care physician about lifestyle changes or preventive screening:
- Increased age
- High blood pressure
- A high-fat diet
- Heart disease
- Too much stress
- Lack of Exercise
- High levels of blood cholesterol and lipids (fats)
Types of Vascular Disease Include:
FREE Screenings for Peripheral Vascular Disease & Ankle Brachial Index
UnityPoint Health - Methodist offers FREE Ankle Brachial Index screenings for Peripheral Vascular Disease throughout the Peoria area. Please check Classes and Events for dates and locations.
Diagnostic Tests for Vascular Disease
To help diagnose a vascular disease, your doctor may order one or more of the following imaging tests:
- Doppler/Duplex ultrasound uses sound waves to detect blood flow and make images of an artery.
- Arteriography uses contrast dye to make arteries more visible on x-rays.
- A CT scan uses a series of x-rays to make computer images of the arteries.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) uses a strong magnet to form images of the body without x-rays.