UnityPoint Health – Hospice
Compassion and Dignity
UnityPoint Hospice provides physical, emotional, social, and spiritual comfort care for people with a terminal illness and their loved ones. Hospice care gives the patient control of end-of-life choices and focuses on quality of life.
Who is Eligible for Hospice Care?
- Who has a limited life expectancy
- Who wants comfort care, not aggressive treatment
- Who has a caregiver available 24 hours a day
- Whose doctor agrees to work with the Methodist Hospice Team
- Who lives within 35 miles from Methodist Medical Center
What Services Are Provided?
- Pain/symptom management
- 24-hour on-call help of nurses and counselors
- Physician services (through your doctor and Hospice doctors)
- Spiritual and supportive counseling
- Personal care by certified nursing assistants
- Supportive care by trained volunteers
- One-on-one grief support for family members
- Educational grief seminars
- Kourage Kids - a children's grief camp (see below)
Where are Hospice Services Provided?
- In your home or loved one's home
- In many area nursing homes
- In many area assisted-living communities
Who pays for Hospice?
Methodist Hospice services may be covered partially or in total by Medicare, HMOs, Medicaid, and private insurance. Methodist Medical Center will provide care regardless of a person's ability to pay.
Kourage Kids - Helping Grieving Kids Heal
Children who have lost a loved one can feel grief, fear, and/or anger. Grieving children often feel alone because they rarely know anyone their age who has dealt with the death of a family member or friend.
What is Kourage Kids?
- A FREE 1-day camp for kids ages 5-18 who have lost a loved one
- A day of support and fun, including lots of fun activities
- A chance for children to share their experiences with other children, led by grief counselors
Kourage Kids is staffed by registered nurses, counselors, social workers, and volunteers trained to work with grieving children.
FREE Educational Grief Seminars
Holiday Grief Seminar - When Grief Doesn't Take a Holiday
Saturday, October 27, 2018
9:00 - 11:30 a.m.
Conference Room ABC
900 Main Street, Peoria, IL
This FREE event is open to the public. Refreshments will be provided. Call (309) 672-5746 to RSVP by October 25, 2018.