Childbirth Classes and Tours
UnityPoint Health – Methodist's Birthing Center tours and prenatal classes help you and your family prepare a joyous and healthy welcome for your new baby. We have classes for expectant parents and families. You are welcome to attend if you live in Peoria, Pekin or the surrounding areas.
Childbirth Preparation Class
This prenatal class helps you prepare for labor and delivery. Your childbirth educator will cover:
- What to expect during your baby's birth
- Breathing and relaxation exercises
- Childbirth videos
- A tour of UnityPoint Health – Methodist Birthing Center
Caring for Newborn & Mom Class
In this session, you and your partner learn how to care for your newborn. The class covers:
- Bathing your baby
- Care of the umbilical cord and circumcision
- Safety issues
- Choosing a pediatrician
- Care for the new mother
This childbirth class is designed for "expectant" brothers and sisters age 3 and up (and their parents). Children can:
- See where Mom will stay
- Visit brand-new babies in the nursery
- Get a free T-shirt or cape
Preparation for Breastfeeding
This class is part of our breastfeeding support. It is a comprehensive, practical guide that will help you succeed at breastfeeding. You'll learn how to:
- Adjust your milk supply to meet your baby´s needs
- Pump breast milk
- Handle common breastfeeding challenges
- Get breastfeeding support from the Birthing Center after you go home
Contact the Birthing Center
You can call 309-672-4852 to schedule a tour of the Birthing Center. Tours are held:
- Mondays at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Wednesdays at 5 p.m.
- Fridays at 10 a.m.
For information about childbirth preparation classes, see our Classes and Events page or call 309-671-2522. Preregister now to reserve your space.