Child Life Services
Comfort and care for you and your child
Our goal at UnityPoint Health is to help your child and family feel comfortable and cared for during your child's hospitalization. Child Life Services are provided at UnityPoint Health - Methodist, Proctor and Pekin.
Mission and Vision
Mission - We, as Certified Child Life Specialists with expertise in psychosocial care, are committed to helping infants, children, adolescents and families cope with the stress and uncertainty of hospitalization and illness. Certified Child Life Specialists collaborate with the interdisciplinary team and provide developmentally appropriate preparation, education and play to empower children to face challenging events now and in the future.
Vision- UnityPoint Health - Central Illinois Certified Child Life Specialists are dedicated to providing the best outcomes for pediatric patients and families now and for future health care experiences.
A Child Life Specialist will:
- Provide preparation and procedural support for your child as they undergo medical tests, procedure, and/or surgery through the use of developmentally appropriate medical play and teaching materials.
- Engage your child with games, arts, crafts, toys, music and movies. Play helps normalize the hospital environment and make it a more positive experience.
- Lead medical play to allow your child the opportunity to rehearse the procedure, role play and become familiar with medical equipment. This helps to reduce a child's stress and fosters coping.
- Assist your family and child by providing emotional support, education and advocacy.
- Consult with your child's healthcare team regarding your child's unique emotional, social and developmental needs.
- Prep books on outpatient surgery, EEG tests, VCUGs and endoscopy tests are available to prepare your child for their visit.
- Provide pre-surgical or pre-admission tours, which can lessen anxiety children and their families may have.