Child Life Services
Comfort and care for you and your child
Our goal at UnityPoint Health - Methodist is to help your child and family feel comfortable and cared for during your child's hospitalization.
A Child Life Specialist will:
- Provide preparation and procedural support for your child as they undergo medical tests, procedure, and/or surgery through the use of developmentally appropriate medical play and teaching materials.
- Engage your child with games, arts, crafts, toys, music and movies. Play helps normalize the hospital environment and make it a more positive experience.
- Lead medical play to allow your child the opportunity to rehearse the procedure, role play and become familiar with medical equipment. This helps to reduce a child's stress and fosters coping.
- Assist your family and child by providing emotional support, education and advocacy.
- Consult with your child's healthcare team regarding your child's unique emotional, social and developmental needs.
- Prep books on outpatient surgery, EEG tests, VCUGs and endoscopy tests are available to prepare your child for their visit.
- Provide pre-surgical or pre-admission tours, which can lessen anxiety children and their families may have.