Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation at UnityPoint Health - Methodist | Proctor are customized outpatient programs designed to strengthen your heart and lungs to improve your health and overall quality of life. Our leading cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation specialists offer personalized exercise training and lifestyle modification education for those living with heart or lung disease.
Personalized Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation
In three phases, patients, just like you, develop a personalized education plan with our team of friendly and knowledgeable cardiopulmonary specialists. Each phase gradually and safely guides you to recovery by educating on and monitoring physical activity, nutrition, medication and improved lifestyle:
- Phase I begins in the hospital and lays the foundation for the lifestyle and behavioral changes needed for you to recuperate.
- Phase II consists of 8 to 12 weeks of outpatient EKG monitored exercise at Cardiopulmonary Rehab. Your program is designed for you based on your doctor's recommendations, 6 minute walk test, vital signs and individual needs.
- LiveWell is a medically based program that helps to improve health and quality of life. This program provides long term maintenance and supervision of individuals with heart and/or lung disease, chronic health conditions, and those wishing to prevent future health issues through ongoing exercise and education. The program is supervised by medical professionals.
- Exercise we help you build your endurance while decreasing the symptoms you experience with heart and/or lung disease, such as fatigue, shortness of breath and chest pain. Your exercise program is tailored to your specific needs and includes the use of treadmills, indoor walking track, stationary cycling and/or weight training.
- Education you will learn how to better manage your health and improve quality of life. An array of classes are available and include topics such as:
- exercise for pulmonary disease
- effects of emotions on eating
- heart failure
- benefits of exercise and chronic disease
- bone density and balance improvement
Who is Eligible for Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation Programs?
Patients who have chronic breathing conditions or have had a cardiac event or procedure may benefit from our cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation programs. These conditions and procedures include but are not limited to:
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic lung disease
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)/Emphysema
- Heart attack
- Heart transplant
- Lung transplant
- Open heart surgery
If you have heart or breathing problems and think you might benefit from cardiac or pulmonary rehabilitation at UPH, please talk to your doctor about a referral or call us if you have any questions or require assistance. A physician referral is required.