Pediatric Endoscopy (EGD)
An EGD is a test that allows your doctor to see the esophagus, inside the stomach (food tube), and upper part of the small intestine with a scope. A camera and light are built into the scope allowing the doctor to take pictures. An EGD helps the doctor to see what is causing your child's pain. A few other examples of why someone would need an EGD would be to detect irritation, identify site of bleeding, or remove any object swallowed. An anesthesiologist will talk with you and your child regarding the medication given during the procedure. The EGD test takes approximately 20-25 minutes from the time your child goes to sleep and goes to recovery.
Prior to Your Child's EGD Checklist
Prior to your child's day in Endoscopy, please discuss with your child's doctor the following:
- Any medical preparation your child may need before their procedure
- The scheduled procedure time and date, as well as, the time you'll need to arrive at the hospital on the day of the procedure
- When to have your child stop eating and drinking - including water, gum and mints
- What care your child will need at home after their procedure
If your child becomes sick or you need to cancel your child's procedure, please call Dr. Khaled's office at (309)672-4200 or UnityPoint Health Methodist Endoscopy Department at (309)672-5768
The prep book "Let Me Tell You About My Endoscopy Test" will help you talk with your child about their test. Before coming to UnityPoint Health Methodist, explain to your child what will happen in words they can understand. Be honest with your child about their medical test, surgery, or procedure so that they have the opportunity to ask questions and you can address any misconceptions. For younger children, it is best to explain right before the test/procedure so that they are less anxious. For school-age children or teenagers, parents/caregivers can talk to their child several days before their visit to UnityPoint Health Methodist. To help explain to your child about their test/procedure, utilize the topic specific prep book. Sometimes, it is difficult to know how to explain visits to the hospital to children. If you would like help please call a Child Life Specialist at 309-671-2145.
Day of EGD Checklist
What to bring with you on the day of your child's procedure:
- When you arrive at UnityPoint Health - Methodist please check in at the patient registration desk located on the first floor of UnityPoint Health - Methodist.
- Please arrive at the patient registration area on time. Every effort is made by the doctor and medical staff to start the procedure on time. However, procedures may be delayed due to emergencies or other unforeseen circumstances. You will be kept informed regarding any delays.
- Please bring your child's favorite security object from home (pacifier, toy, blanket, or hand held game)
- Your child's preferred empty bottle, sippy cup or sports bottle for a drink in recovery after the procedure.
- Insurance card, ID, paperwork, etc.
- Medication Information - Names and doses and time of day taken
- Guardianship papers, if applicable
- Please dress your child in comfortable clothes
- Female patients ten years or older will need to submit a urine sample prior to the procedure
- Please do not allow your child to take any medications unless instructed/approved by the doctor
Following the EGD
- Discharge instructions will be provided by the Endoscopy department following procedure
- If your child develops a fever, chest pain, abdominal pain or any other symptoms call your doctor immediately or go to Emergency room
- No driving is allowed the day of procedure following the test
- No soda or apple juice following the test; other diet restrictions will be determined by the doctor
- You child's biopsy report will be given per Dr. Khaled at the follow up appointment (approximately one week)
If you have any additional questions or concerns please don't hesitate to call Dr. Khaled's office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday - Friday at 309-672-4200; or you can call UnityPoint Health - Methodist Endoscopy between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday - Friday at 309-672-5768.
We look forward to meeting you and your child!