Cancer Support Services
At UnityPoint Health – Methodist Cancer Care Services, treating cancer is just one part of what we do. Our cancer navigators help you prioritize your whole health. We can guide you to many support services and resources available to you through UnityPoint Health and other organizations.
Meet and get inspired by our community's cancer survivors at a local support group. You can also participate in wellness services tailored to cancer patients at the local Hult Center for Healthy Living.
Counseling and Support Services
We offer one-on-one and group counseling to help you address the emotional, psychological and social toll cancer takes on your life.
You can also sit in on one of our cancer-specific support groups. Here, cancer patients, family members and caregivers connect with others facing similar challenges. Trained members of our team, such as our psychosocial services specialist, lead each support group.
You can join a support group specific to a cancer type (such as a breast cancer support group). We also offer support groups focused on caregivers and children who have a loved one affected by cancer. Learn more about our cancer support groups.
Wellness Community Resources
We partner with the Hult Center for Healthy Living, a local nonprofit organization, to maximize your health and improve your life through every stage of cancer care.
The Hult Center for Healthy Living offers many oncology support programs and wellness services. Many programs are at little to no cost to you. For more information, call 309-692-6650 or visit the Hult Center for Healthy Living.
Wellness services include:
- Nutrition services: Get personalized nutrition guidance from a registered dietitian on how and what to eat during cancer treatment. Proper nutrition can help you manage treatment side effects, heal faster and feel better.
- Counseling: The Hult Center for Healthy Living provides one-on-one counseling and support groups. These programs can help you learn and get support from people who have similar life experiences.
- Massage: Try out an oncology massage by a massage therapist trained in the unique needs of people affected by cancer.
- Healthy living classes: Cancer patients and families can take part in wellness classes at no cost. The center offers aerobics, strength training, yoga, tai ji (also called tai chi) and Pilates classes to accommodate a range of schedules and abilities.
- Breast cancer survivor support: Learn the role that diet and activity play in breast cancer survivorship. Gain the tools you need to stay healthy after breast cancer treatment.
American Cancer Society Resources
The American Cancer Society offers a variety of programs and resources for cancer patients and survivors in the Peoria area. Learn more about the resources available to you by calling 800-227-2345 or visiting the American Cancer Society.
- Reach to Recovery: Reach to Recovery volunteers are breast cancer survivors with training to help others going through similar experiences.
- Road to Recovery: This program uses a network of volunteers to provide transportation to people with cancer who have trouble getting to an appointment.
- Lodging: This program helps provide overnight accommodations to eligible cancer patients when they need to travel out of the area for treatment.
Get the cancer support services you need, easily. Call 309-672-4224
to connect with one of our helpful cancer navigators.