Cancer Support Groups
Get motivated and inspired by men and women who have faced similar trials at one of our free cancer support groups. Groups are led by members of UnityPoint Health – Methodist Cancer Care Services, including our trained oncology psychosocial services specialist.
Our focused discussion groups offer you a safe space where you can make connections and learn coping skills, during cancer treatment and long after.
Benefits of Cancer Support Groups
A cancer diagnosis can cause you to feel many different emotions. Support groups offer a space where you can meet people with similar life experiences. You can freely share your thoughts, feelings and concerns.
Support groups can offer cancer patients and caregivers many benefits. Participating in a cancer support group may help you:
- Learn coping skills
- Connect with people in your community who understand your challenges
- Feel less anxious or more empowered as you learn how others have endured similar experiences
- Find out about community resources
- Learn more about treatment options
- Discuss your care with your medical team and loved ones
Our Cancer Survivor and Caregiver Support Groups
We welcome you to join the discussion in the cancer support group that best fits your needs and situation. Trained members of our team, such as our psychosocial services specialist, tailor each support group to the unique needs of members.
We offer support groups focused on:
- Kids: Our Kids Konnected support group is for kids ages 5 to 18 who have a parent or caregiver affected by cancer.
- Caregivers: This group is tailored to the needs of people who are taking care of someone who has cancer.
- Survivorship: Our survivorship support group helps cancer survivors connect with others who have faced similar challenges. Discussions touch on common problems people face in the months and years after treatment ends.
- Ostomy support: This group offers practical advice and encouragement centered around common questions people have about life after ostomy surgery. An ostomy procedure creates a human-made way for the body to get rid of waste when your body can no longer do so naturally.
- Specific cancer site: We have support groups made up of people who have experienced the same kind of cancer. Ask for more details about our:
- Blood cancer support group
- Breast cancer support group
- Colon cancer support group
- Lung cancer support group
Get the type of cancer support you need, easily. Call 309-672-5785 to learn more about our cancer support groups.