About The Weight Loss Process
Weight loss surgery is a life-changing decision. The experienced team at UnityPoint Health Weight Loss and Surgery Clinic wants you to be fully aware of the commitments both before and after surgery that you will make.
Is Surgery For Me?
Weight Loss Surgery is major surgery. The decision to have weight loss surgery should be made after careful consideration and consultation with an experienced bariatric surgeon. Although most weight loss surgery patients enjoy an improvement in mobility, self-image and self-esteem, these factors should not be the overriding motivation for having the procedure. The goal of this surgery is to live better, healthier and longer.
Weight Loss Surgery is performed on people who are obese for the purpose of losing weight. The National Institutes of Health recommends bariatric weight loss surgery for patients with a BMI of 40 or greater. Patients with a BMI of 35 or greater and who also have co-morbid conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and/or sleep apnea, are also candidates for bariatric surgery.
Requirements and Expectations
- Attend a free, mandatory information meeting.
- Complete checklist and forms. At the information meeting, a checklist is provided to ensure all your pre-operative requirements are met. Paperwork will need to be completed by your initial consult with our surgeon.
- Attend consultation with surgeon
- Contact your insurance to confirm benefits and requirements.
- Join a support group to prepare you for surgery.
- Attend consultation with Registered Dietitian and Exercise Specialist.
- Attend consultation with Licensed Clinical Psychologist, or Psychiatrist.
- Visit your primary care provider 30 days before surgery for pre-operative clearance.
- Attend 2-Week Pre-Operative appointment at UnityPoint Health Weight Loss & Surgery Clinic.
- Undergo Surgery, maintain follow-up care, and continue your healthy lifestyle.