The UnityPoint Health – Marshalltown Spiritual Care Program offers educated and trained volunteers to provide spiritual care and support. This program does not seek to displace patient's primary spiritual resources. Rather, it provides complementary spiritual support. All personnel in the Volunteer/Spiritual Care Department respect all religious and spiritual preferences and collaborate with hospital staff to give patients the best care possible.
Spiritual care visitors assess spiritual needs to provide resources and to contact local faith communities and or church upon request. Hours are from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays and 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on weekends.
Ways We May Assist You
Whatever your religious preferences, the Spiritual Care Program provides spiritual support for you and your family and friends during your hospital stay.
We'll be happy to:
- Accept you as a person of worth and value
- Respect your faith
- Help you obtain information when asked
- Contact your minister upon request
- Listen and understand your feelings
- Spend time with you and care for your spiritual needs
An on-call volunteer chaplain is available for:
- Crisis intervention
- To be an emotional and spiritual resource in times of crisis
- Communication problems
- Contacting your minister upon request
- Sorting through difficult decisions
There is a chapel located in the southeast corner of the hospital on the third floor (off of elevator A). Please ask the volunteer at the Main Entrance in the lobby for directions. Visitors and patients are welcome to access the Auxiliary Courtyard located under the skywalk by the hospital's main waiting room. Both areas are open at all times for prayer, meditation and times of silence.
Please call: If you're a patient, family member or concerned friend and would like to request a visit from a Spiritual Care Visitor or Chaplain, please dial ext. 1628. If you cannot reach anyone at that extension, call the hospital switchboard by dialing "0" and have the operator page a Spiritual Care Volunteer for you.
To reach a chaplain, urgent requests should be directed to a nurse who will contact the on-call chaplain.
- Spiritual Care office: (641) 754-5341
- In-house extension: Dial ext. 1628
- Volunteer Services office: Dial ext. 5585