LiveWell Ask the Expert
With Our ER Physicians
At UnityPoint Health – Marshalltown, we think you're amazing, and we want to keep you that way. That's why we provide tips and information to help keep you healthy. Check out the audio segments below with ER physician Dr. Lance VanGundy, ER & Trauma Medical Director Sarah Hemming-Meyer,
and ER physician and Ambulance Medical Director Blaine Westemeyer, as they answer some commonly asked questions about healthcare.
2022 Fall Ask the Expert Segments
What are the warning signs of a heart attack?
- What can you tell us about the new hospital?
- Why is the new hospital smaller than the old one?
- Why isn't the family medicine clinic in the new hospital?
- What's the difference between the ER and urgent care?
- UnityPoint Health has all new facilities. Are you surprised by the growth?
- Where does the medical community stand on vaccines?
- Why is it important to have a primary care provider?
- What's next for UnityPoint Health in Marshalltown?
- What is an Express clinic?
- Does UnityPoint Health Offer Patients Online Access to Medical Information?
- What are the signs of a stroke?
2021 Fall Ask the Expert Segments
- Are you still seeing the effect of the pandemic at the hospital?
- What would you tell unvaccinated people in the community?
- Is Marshalltown getting a new urgent care this year?
- Should people be reluctant to get vaccinated because the vaccines were rushed to market?
- If people have allergies, should they get the COVID-19 vaccine?
- Is the new Express clinic the same thing as urgent care?
- What's this virtual waiting room and how does it work?
- With the pandemic still active, should people avoid the ER?
- How is the new hospital coming along?
- Does UnityPoint Health offer women's health care in Marshalltown?
- Are there long-term effects after you've survived COVID-19?
2021 Spring: COVID-19 Vaccine Edition
- Is the COVID-19 vaccine effective?
- What kind of side effects can you expect with the COVID-19 vaccine?
- How does the COVID-19 vaccine work?
- If I've had COVID-19, do I really need to get the vaccine?
- Will the COVID-19 vaccine affect my fertility?
- Should I get the COVID-19 vaccine if I have allergies?
- Will I need to wear a mask after I get the COVID-19 vaccine?
- Is the COVID-19 vaccine expensive?
- Is there a shortage of the COVID-19 vaccine?
2020 Fall Ask the Expert Segments
- Considering COVID-19, is it safe to go to UnityPoint Health – Marshalltown?
- With the pandemic still present, what kinds of appointments are you welcoming now?
- I see UnityPoint Health offers something called virtual care. What is that and how does it work?
- With the ER seeing COVID-19 patients, is it safe to be seen there for other symptoms?
- Urgent care became UnityPoint Clinic Express earlier this year. What does that mean?
- With the move to an expanded South Campus, are we keeping all the services we have now?
- What has surprised you during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Why is the emergency department more expensive than urgent care?
- Does UnityPoint Health provide women's care in Marshalltown?
- What is a "virtual waiting room"?
- Urgent care vs. ER: When to use one or the other.
2019 Ask the Expert Segments
- What kinds of medical issues are seen in the emergency department?
- How does the emergency department triage process work?
- What kinds of medical issues are seen in Urgent Care?
- Does it cost me more to use the ER instead of Urgent Care?
- What is the role of a primary care provider?
- What are the signs of a heart attack?
- How do signs of a heart attack differ for women?
- What are the signs of a stroke?
- The differences between a headache and a migraine?
- What illnesses are caused by hold and cold weather?
- Is it a cold or the flu?
- How do you treat a sinus infection?
- What's the difference between a viral and bacterial infection?
- How does blood pressure affect cardiovascular health?