Threads of Remembrance
A special collection of infant gown designs have been created for our Threads of Remembrance Program through a unique partnership between UnityPoint Health - Meriter hospital and the UW-Madison Department of Human Ecology Textile and Apparel Design Division. Gown designs meet the special needs of very tiny infants and support parents' natural grieving process. Gowns are for families cared for at the hospital and are available for sale to other birthing facilities for their own perinatal bereavement programs.
"Just to have that personal touch really helps make it easier. It's very healing...It was something tangible to hold onto." - Mother
How does your facility offer support to families suffering the loss of a baby? The gift of a bereavement gown to cradle their infant in is one way to give comfort and help serve families in their grieving process. Proportioned specifically to fit preemie and micro-preemie infants, Threads of Remembrance gown patterns add a compassionate touch to any perinatal bereavement program.
How Threads of Remembrance is Unique
Threads of Remembrance patterns are unique in several ways:
- Proper Fit – We know that fetal development does not occur at a proportional rate. Unlike commercial patterns that cannot just be "scaled down" to size, we offer four styles designed especially to meet the proportional measurements of micro-preemie, preemie and term infants.
- Preservation of Infant Skin Integrity – Our gown designs offer ease in dressing, with minimal manipulation which allows for better preservation of infant skin integrity.
- Garment Design – Our easy-to-sew patterns are designed to minimize seam finishes with rough edges that irritate tender infant skin. Use of our design techniques also decreases sewing time.
What Nurses and Grief Counselors Say About Threads of Remembrance
"Finding appropriately sized gowns has been a real issue for us. These quality-constructed gowns allow the family to see their baby as beautiful."
"The design, fabric, texture, color and embellishments on the gowns offer families comfort, and brief moment of normalcy. The act of dressing the baby allows them to fulfill a need to nurture their infant."
"Families often keep the gown they used to dress their infant. They'll hold, touch and often sleep with the gown; it is a tangible memento of their infant's existence, and helps them through the grieving process."
Support Grieving Families with Threads of Remembrance
Add Threads of Remembrance to your bereavement services program for just $58. For an additional $45, you'll receive custom sewing machine software for five appliqué and six embroidery designs appropriately scaled for these gowns. All proceeds from the sale of Threads of Remembrance patterns support the Meriter Hospital Pregnancy and Infant Loss Program.
The Threads of Remembrance Master Package includes:
- Complete patterns and step-by-step sewing instructions for four infant gown designs in multiple sizes.
- DVD or VHS with valuable tips on the best fabric choices to use, plus ideas for accessories and embellishments and instructions that make sewing the gowns easy even for novices.
- Booklet containing advice on connecting with supportive community resources such as volunteer sewing groups; how to find professional, financial and administrative support for your program; and insight on cultural diversity considerations.
Thank you for your interest in the Threads of Remembrance materials. Please fill out our Threads of Remembrance Order Form (see below) and send it with your check, hospital PO number or credit card information to:
Women's Health Administration
UnityPoint Health - Meriter
Attn: Threads of Remembrance
202 S. Park Street
Madison, WI 53715
Threads of Remembrance Order Form