Thank you for considering UnityPoint Health – Meriter for your patient's care. This page outlines the different referral processes based on your needs.
When you call, please be prepared to:
For newborns, please also provide:
- Date and time of birth
- Gestational age
- Birth weight
- Current weight
- Mother's name
Adult Inpatient Admission
Together with our partners at UW Health, we have a single Access Center for adult admissions to our Madison hospitals (University Hospital, UW Health at the American Center, American Family Children's Hospital and UnityPoint Health – Meriter). Referring providers can make one call for a streamlined admission process and we'll ensure your patient is admitted to the right hospital for their level of care.
Visit our shared Access Center webpage with UW Health
Specialty and Ambulatory Referrals
For providers outside of the Epic system, please choose one of the referral options listed below. Please also send physician notes, lab and medical imaging results that are pertinent to this referral to Meriter's secured fax line at (608) 417-7077.
- Online referral form
- Complete and fax this form to (608) 417-5777
- Call our Central Scheduling Department at (608) 417-7000 to submit a referral
A current list of specialty services is available here.
Mother-Baby Care Referrals
When a newborn or pregnant mother requires advanced medical care, this dedicated phone is your resource. This program is shared between UW Health and Meriter. The Mother-Baby Care phone line (866) 678-7636 is answered 24/7 by a registered nurse who is ready to help referring providers:
- Transfer a newborn to one of our NICUs. Transportation is provided by Med Flight Peds Neo, UW Health's American Family Children's Hospital Emergency transport ambulance.
- Level 3 NICU: UnityPoint Health - Meriter, 202 S. Park St., Madison, WI 53715
- Level 4 NICU: UW Health's American Family Children's Hospital, 1675 Highland Ave., Madison, WI 53792
- Conduct a case discussion with UW Health
- Maternal-fetal medicine specialist
- Pediatric cardiologist (arrange a fetal echocardiogram)
- Coordinate transfer of an expectant mother for prenatal or delivery care at UnityPoint Health - Meriter
If you are looking to refer a patient to the Center for Perinatal Care, please click here.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Referrals
UnityPoint Health – Meriter offers community-based inpatient and outpatient psychiatric programs for children and adolescents in South Central Wisconsin. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (CAP) serves young people ages 6-18 with severe behavioral health challenges such as depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, bipolar disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and self-harming behaviors.
Outpatient referrals can be made here. We welcome referrals from psychiatrists, mental health professionals and social service agencies. To refer a patient to our Inpatient unit, please contact a Charge Nurse at (608) 417-8777.
A referral is not required to make an appointment with a provider at one of our primary care clinics. Please use the Find a Doctor tool to find provider that's right for you or your patients and request an appointment.