Join Our Volunteer Team
The volunteer on-boarding process involves the following 5 steps which must be completed in the order below. If you have any questions during this process, don't hesitate to reach out to a member of our team. Before getting started, please take a moment to review our requirements which help to ensure the health and safety of our patients:
- Must be at least 14 years of age;
- Be able to commit to a 2-4 hour weekly shift for minimum of 6 consecutive months or 2 semesters;
- Complete a health screening that includes a 2-step TB skin test, documentation of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, and an Influenza vaccination during the season;
- Pass a criminal background check;
- Keep annual requirements up-to-date which includes attending the Flu/TB clinics and updating your annual education every Fall.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with UnityPoint Health - Meriter. Due to COVID-19 our on-boarding process is currently suspended through the remainder of 2020. We encourage you to try volunteeryourtime.org to find opportunities in the community and hope you will check back with us in January 2021.
Once we have reviewed your application, we will reach out to schedule a 30-minute pre-placement interview at UnityPoint Health – Meriter Hospital. At this interview a member of the Volunteer Services department will learn more about your interests and discuss placements that are relevant to your availability. We will also have you fill out a criminal background check at the interview.
When your volunteer placement has been determined, you will need to phone Employee Health Services to set up a health screening appointment where you will:
- Complete a 2-step TB skin test
- Show proof of immunity against Rubella, Measles, Mumps and Varicella
- Receive the Influenza vaccine during flu season
- Please note, volunteers placed in Emergency Services, The Birthing Center and NICU are required to complete additional vaccinations.
After you are cleared by Employee Health Services you will be invited to attend our new volunteer orientation where you will get your photo taken for your ID badge and get a volunteer polo. This is required before you can start volunteering. Prior to the orientation, you must complete the three online training modules.
The final step to becoming a volunteer is to complete any specific unit training or shadow sessions. Instructions will be given at orientation as well as contact information to set up your first day/training.