Join Our Volunteer Team
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with UnityPoint Health – Meriter. Due to high interest, onboarding for the fall semester has closed. Please check back in December to apply for the Spring semester. For those who live in Madison year round, you may be able to onboard earlier and should watch this space for further instructions.
The volunteer on-boarding process involves the following 5 steps which must be completed in the order below. If you have any questions during this process, don't hesitate to reach out to a member of our team. Before getting started, please take a moment to review our requirements which help to ensure the health and safety of our patients:
- Must be at least 14 years of age;
- Be able to commit to a 2-4 hour weekly shift for minimum of 6 consecutive months or 2 semesters;
- Complete a health screening that includes a 2-step TB skin test, documentation of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, proof of COVID-19 vaccination and Influenza vaccination during the season;
- Pass a criminal background check;
- Keep annual requirements up-to-date which includes attending the Flu/TB clinics and updating your annual education every Fall.
The first step in the process is to fill out our online application form. (Link will be added when onboarding resumes.)
Once we have reviewed your application, we will reach out to schedule a pre-placement interview to learn more about your interests and skillsets and discuss placements that are relevant to your availability. We will also run a criminal background check.
When your volunteer placement has been determined, you will need to phone Employee Health Services to set up a health screening appointment where you will:
- Complete a 2-step TB skin test
- Show proof of immunity against Rubella, Measles, Mumps and Varicella, as well as proof of the COVID-19 vaccine and flu shot
- Please note, volunteers placed in Emergency Services, The Birthing Center and NICU are required to complete additional vaccinations.
In the interim, we will have you complete our New Volunteer Orientation. After you are cleared by Employee Health Services you will be invited to registration where you will get your photo taken for your ID badge, tour the locker room and get a volunteer polo.
The final step to becoming a volunteer is to complete any specific unit training or shadow sessions.