The Stepping On program sponsored by UnityPoint Health - Meriter empowers older adults to carry out health behaviors that reduce the risk of falls. In this small group setting, older adults will learn balance exercises and develop specific knowledge and skills to prevent falls.
Stepping On is designed specifically for people who are:
at risk of falling,
have a fear of falling, or
who have fallen one or more times.
Participants meet for two hours a week for seven weeks. Workshops are facilitated by trained Leaders and provide a safe and positive learning experience.
Why should I be concerned about falling?
- More than one third of adults 65 or over fall each year
- Among older adults, falls are the leading cause of injury and of hospital admissions for trauma and death
- 35% of people who fall become less active as a result
This program is led by a health professional and lay leader. Local guest experts may also assist by providing information on exercise, vision, safety, and medications.
What you will learn
The Stepping On workshop meets for two hours a week for seven weeks in which we will focus on:
- Simple and fun balance and strength training
- The role vision plays in keeping your balance
- How medication can contribute to falls
- Ways to stay safe when out and about in your community
- What to look for in safe footwear
- How to check your home for safety
How you will benefit
- Learn to step outside your home with confidence
- Learn with people your own age
- Become more aware of fall hazards and learn how your fall risk can be reduced
- Study the most up-to-date information on falls prevention
- Help others by sharing what has worked for you
Who can benefit?
- Anyone 65 years or older
- Has had a fall in the past year
- Is fearful of falling
Is living at home
- Not suffering from dementia
Location & Schedule
Location: UnityPoint Health - Meriter - Monona Clinic, Classroom A\
Time: 9:30 - 11:30 am
9:30 am - 12:00 pm (first day only)
Dates: Every Tuesday, March 27 to May 8, 2018.
Please contact Jennifer Wallskog at (608) 417-8262 or email: email@example.com.
Please note, class size is small and registration will be closed when maximum number is reached.
The cost of the class is $35.00 which will be collected at the first class meeting and covers the entire seven week program.
Checks only please. Checks are to be made payable to: Stepping On