UnityPoint Health - Meriter’s team of dedicated educators invite you to a newly expanded 6-week series, exploring a mindful and intentional approach to birth and parenting. The program will include the basics of childbirth, newborn care and breastfeeding. In addition, you and your support person will learn and practice meditation, relaxation skills, conscious decision-making, and responsive, relationship-based parenting techniques. The class is designed for all labor experiences (un-medicated, medicated, planned or un-planned cesarean), and view all as normal. You will leave with tools that help you have an empowered birth experience and help you develop meaningful, connected relationships as you begin your parenting journey.
- The Mind, Birth & Baby series meets for 2.5 hours, each Monday, for 6 consecutive weeks.
- You only need to register for the first Monday of the 6-class series.
- If your main support person is not available, you are encouraged to bring another support person who is prepared to participate with you.
- Wear comfortable clothing and bring 2 pillows and 2 blankets or yoga mats to the first class of this series.
Start & End Dates for Upcoming Series
- Mondays, March 4th - April 8th, 2019
- Mondays, April 15th - May 20th
- Wednesdays, May 15th - June 19th, 2019
$115.00 (includes expectant individual & one support person)
Weeks 1, 2 & 3: Intuitive Birth
In addition to learning about labor and birth, you will focus on gaining skills of mindfulness meditation, relaxation and other techniques as they relate to labor, delivery and life. These practices help participants learn to work through the physical and emotional intensity that can often arise during pregnancy and the birthing experience. Please come ready to practice several meditations and engage in activities.
Please bring 2 pillows and 2 blankets or mats to classes 1, 2 & 3. These will be used on the floor, while practicing labor-coping techniques.
Weeks 4, 5, & 6: Intuitive Parenting and Infant Feeding
This program is designed to prepare you for the first days, weeks, and months as a new family. Each session weaves together postpartum recovery, the basics of newborn care, infant behavior, and breastfeeding while exploring the developing and changing relationships between parents and their baby. You and your support person will discover ways to stay connected and grow as you transition to parenthood and find enriching ways to care for your baby as you begin your breastfeeding journey.
Information related to pumping and storage of breastmilk is offered in our Breastmilk: Learn to Pump & Store class. It is important to take this class after completing the Mind, Birth & Baby series and suggested that you attend when your baby is 3 - 12 weeks old.
- It is recommended that you begin classes after your first trimester and plan to complete your classes by your 34th week of pregnancy.
- If the date in which you prefer is FULL, please submit a WAITLIST registration here. Because a waitlist registration does not guarantee access to your preferred class/date, we strongly encourage you to register for one of our other childbirth and parenting offerings or an alternate date. Should a spot become available in your preferred class/date, an individual from the Women’s Health Education Department will contact you.
- This class is designed for you, plus one adult support person, due to class content and partner specific activities.
- Class meets at the Meriter Business Center - 2650 Novation Pkwy, Madison (off Rimrock Road). Please arrive on time for your class to ensure entrance into the building.
- This offering may be eligible for wellness rewards or reimbursement. Please check with your health insurance provider for program details. (Quartz | Group Health Cooperative)
- A tour of the Birthing Center is not included in this series. Tours require advanced registration or you may view our online Birthing Center Tour, at your convenience.
Refund Policy/Cancellation Policy
- A full refund will be issued when cancellation of a class is made 1 week or more prior to the series start date.
- A 50% refund will be issued when cancellation of a class is made less than 1 week prior to the series start date.
- In the event of inclement weather or instructor illness, and the Women’s Health Education Department cancels a class, there is no financial penalty to the student. The student will be offered the opportunity to attend a class at a later date.
- If the student is unable to reschedule, a refund will be issued. If the student chooses to not attend a class that will be held, despite weather, and does not transfer to another class, the student will receive a 50% refund, which falls under our less than 1 week cancellation policy.
Please complete your registration online by clicking one of the "Register Now" buttons above.
If you have further questions or need to cancel your registration, please call the Women's Health Education Department at (608) 417-8446.
Choosing a doctor for your baby is one of many important decisions you will make as a parent. Let us help you find a provider that fits you and your child's unique needs!