Caring for more than one infant brings unique joys and challenges, and parents of twins (or triplets) need extra preparation to navigate this very special time. Join our expert Nurse Practitioner/Certified Nurse Midwife (and mother of twins!), for this four week series, as she addresses the specific needs of a multiple pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum adjustments.
Topics will include:
- The unique challenges of a multiple pregnancy and preparing for a multiple birth
- Preterm labor
- The birth process for multiples
- Feeding options, including breastfeeding multiple babies, and basic newborn care
- Newborn care in hospital, including the care of premature babies
- Self-care, sleep, and adjusting to the emotional challenges of multiple babies
- Ways to develop your community of support, including other parents and online resources
A guest family of multiples will visit on the last night to share their experiences.
$65.00 (includes expectant individual and one support person)
- The Expecting Multiples series meets for 2.5 hours, once a week, on the same night of the week in which you register for. *You only need to register for the start date of the 4-class series.
- In conjunction with the Expecting Multiples class, we strongly recommend that first-time expecting families, also enroll in Preparing for Childbirth and Baby's First Weeks. (Explained below).
- Preparing for Childbirth is designed for first-time expectant parents to help you understand all aspects of the labor and delivery process. While not tailored specifically to multiples, you will learn about the stages of labor, when to call your provider, information regarding medical interventions and medications used for labor, and comfort strategies that can help you feel empowered to make the best decisions for you and your family, regardless of the type of labor or number of babies you may be having.
- Baby's First Weeks helps you prepare for your new arrivals with confidence, because we understand that imagining life with your new babies may be exciting as well as a bit overwhelming. This 2.75 hour class covers newborn traits and behavior while exploring the importance of your early relationship with your babies and your transition to parenthood. We will also review the basics of infant care, car seat skill, common concerns and when to seek medical advice. Be better prepared for your homecoming so that you will feel less overwhelm and more confidence and enjoyment during your first weeks together.
- A tour of the Birthing Center is not included with classes. Tours require advance registration or you may view our online Birthing Center Tour at your convenience. The instructor for this offering may provide an opportunity to view specific areas of the hospital, meant only for students carrying multiples. This tour is not the same as our Birthing Center Tour offered through the link above.
- It is recommended that you begin classes after your first trimester and plan to complete your classes by 32-34 weeks of pregnancy.
- This class is designed for you, plus one adult support person, due to class content and partner specific activities.
- This offering may be eligible for wellness rewards or reimbursement. Please check with your health insurance provider for program details. (Quartz | Group Health Cooperative)
- A full refund will be issued when cancellation of a class is made 1 week or more prior to the class start date.
- A 50% refund will be issued when cancellation of a class is made less than 1 week prior to the start of the series.
- In the event of inclement weather or instructor illness, and the Women’s Health Education Department cancels a class, there is no financial penalty to the student. The student will be offered the opportunity to attend a class at a later date. If the student is unable to reschedule, a refund will be issued.
Please complete your registration online by clicking one of the “Register Now” buttons above.
If you have further questions or need to cancel your registration, please call the Women's Health Education Department at (608) 417-8446.
Choosing a doctor is one of many important decisions you will make as a parent. Let us help you find a provider that fits your family's unique needs!