GCMH Diabetes Prevention Program
The next 12-month class begins June 14th!
Now a fully recognized CDC-program close to home!
If you are at risk for developing Type 2 diabetes or your doctor has told you that you have prediabetes, this program is for you! Did you know that you can prevent or delay Type 2 diabetes by losing weight, eating healthier, and being more active? It sounds challenging - but the new Live Well Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) at Grundy County Memorial Hospital provides support and encouragement to help you improve your health and avoid or delay diabetes! DPP offers you the expertise of a lifestyle coach trained specifically in PREVENT T2, which is the name of the Centers for Disease Control's program to help Americans prevent or delay Type 2 Diabetes.
Prediabetes risk factors include being overweight, having higher than normal glucose numbers, and leading a sedentary lifestyle. See how Americans are affected by Type 2 Diabetes here.
DPP Offers You:
The GCMH Diabetes Prevention Program includes a specific curriculum with lessons, handouts and other resources to help you make healthy changes, approved by the Centers for Disease Control, with proven results from thousands of others who have enrolled in the program. Take a sneak peek into the lifestyle program here.
- At this time the class is offered in a teleconference format. Participate from the comfort of your home.
- A lifestyle coach, specially trained to lead the program, to help you learn new skills, encourage you to set and meet goals, and keep you motivated. The coach will also lead discussions and help make the program fun and engaging.
- A support group of people with similar goals and challenges. Together, you can share ideas, celebrate successes, and work to overcome obstacles. It may be easier to make changes when you're working as a group than doing it on your own.
During the program you will learn to:
- Eat healthy without giving up all the foods you love
- Add physical activity to your life, even if you don't think you will have time
- Deal with stress
- Cope with challenges that can derail your hard work- like how to choose healthy food when eating out
- Get back on track if you stray from your plan – because everyone slips now and then
The cost of participating in the Live Well Diabetes Prevention Program may be covered by your health insurance carrier or through your employer's wellness program. Check with your employer or insurance carrier to see if the program is covered. GCMH is a Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program supplier, therefore if you are covered by Medicare there is no cost for you to take this course. Most Healthcare Spending Accounts (HSA) allow you to use funds to pay for prevention programs such as the Diabetes Prevention Program.
Consider the costs of doing nothing compared to an investment today to avoid a future with diabetes. Speak with your medical provider or call to register for the program TODAY! *
- $360- When attendance goals are met and the 12-month program is completed participants may be eligible for a $30 rebate.
The program registration form may be found here. Please complete the information and mail to:
GCMH Diabetes Prevention, 201 East J Avenue, Grundy Center IA 50638.
Or you may register by phoning the Health Promotion office at 319-824-4154.
Next class begins: June 14, 2021 and October 11, 2021.
New class sessions begin every 4-5 months, depending on enrollment.
*a medical provider's referral is not necessary to enroll in the Diabetes Prevention Program.