OB/GYN Conditions We Treat: Pelvic Pain, Infertility and Well Care
We believe that having a personal relationship with your provider is the core of high-quality care. That's why we take the time to understand your health and find the right care for you. We've got you covered with:
Comprehensive Care for Obstetrical and Gynecological Conditions
At UnityPoint Health – Grinnell, you can feel confident in our expertise. Skilled providers use the latest technologies to meet the challenges of diagnosing reproductive health conditions. Here, you'll find:
- Excellent doctors: Our family practice doctors provide the well care you need. And our OB/GYN surgeon, the only one in Grinnell, is ready to help with concerns or problems.
- The personal attention you deserve: Your health and life are intertwined. We take the time to find out what's going on for you. We are proud of our team's focus on listening to you, answering your questions and resolving your health issues.
- Specialized care team support: Our nurses focus on obstetrical and gynecological conditions and treatments. They stay up to date and trained on all procedures as they support our doctors in providing high-quality care.
- Experience: We're a busy local practice with the experience of a big-city office. Our care team has helped many women and adolescents stay healthy. We manage a wide variety of reproductive health problems.
Complete Well Woman and Routine Care
Comprehensive routine female health care can keep you healthy and find problems early. Your well and routine care may include:
- Pelvic exam: Checks the health of organs like the uterus and ovaries
- Pap test: Screens for precancerous and cancerous cells in the cervix
- Clinical breast exam: Early breast cancer screening that checks for lumps in the breast
- Mammogram: Body scan that screens for breast cancer and other kinds of breast disease
- Family planning: Services like birth control, including long-acting reversible contraceptives and tubal ligation
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine and test: Preventive treatment and testing for the virus that causes cervical and other cancers
Treating Heavy Periods, Pelvic Pain and Bladder Problems
We help you take care of problems with your reproductive system. Proper care can reduce pain and minimize health issues that limit your daily activities.
We help adolescents and adults find the cause of symptoms and conditions like:
Heavy periods and excessive bleeding
Heavy, frequent and long periods and can limit activities, cause embarrassment and even be dangerous. Heavy periods and bleeding sometimes result from hormonal changes.
Postmenopausal bleeding is spotting or bleeding after menopause. It can develop because of polyps or fibroids in the uterus. Sometimes it happens due to thinning or thickening of the uterine lining.
Chronic pelvic pain
You might feel pelvic pain in the abdomen, under your bellybutton. When pelvic pain lasts for 6 months or longer, doctors consider it to be chronic, even if the problems come and go.
There are many causes of pelvic pain, including uterine fibroids. Diagnosing the problem can be challenging. Our doctors specialize in assessing your symptoms and pinpointing the cause so we can offer relief.
It's not uncommon for women to have bladder problems, including incontinence and pain. Sometimes the bladder drops into the vagina (bladder prolapse). These problems sometimes happen because of difficulties in childbirth or having many children.
Doctors will start your treatment with techniques like bladder training and managing your food and liquid intake. They can also suggest pelvic floor muscle exercises or prescribe medications. If these therapies don't work, doctors may recommend surgery.
Endometriosis is the painful growth of tissue around the ovaries and fallopian tubes. This tissue is the type that lines the inside of the uterus.
Our doctors customize your treatment based on your reproductive plans. Treatment might include hormonal therapies, conservative surgeries or hysterectomy.
Infertility means couples are unable to conceive, or a woman has problems carrying a pregnancy to term. Different problems with ovulation (the monthly release of an egg) are common causes of infertility. Issues with the uterus or fallopian tubes can cause it, too.
Doctors may treat infertility in women with fertility medications. For some, assisted conception procedures like in vitro fertilization are an option. Some infertility conditions require surgery.
Comprehensive Pregnancy Care
During your pregnancy, our doctors help you stay healthy with regular maternity care. At your routine appointments, your obstetrician monitors many aspects of your health and your baby's development.
If you experience pregnancy complications, we're ready with the care to keep you and your baby safe. That may include surgical treatment like a cesarean section.
Surgical Expertise for Reproductive Health Conditions
Our OB/GYN doctors specialize in the complexities of finding the cause of women's health issues. Symptoms can be similar for different conditions. We focus on your individual needs and work with you to find the best treatment.
Our care team diagnoses and treats many different gynecological conditions. Our skilled surgeon performs procedures right here in Grinnell. Learn about our OB/GYN surgeries including hysterectomy, C-section and other procedures.
Contact Your Health Provider
Contact us to schedule an appointment or find an OB/GYN doctor for your reproductive health needs.
Or you can contact our OB/GYN surgical specialist