Updates, Closings & Restrictions
Please Call Ahead Before Any Visit & Wear a Mask or Face Covering
To reduce community spread of COVID-19, we're asking all patients to please call ahead before visiting a clinic. If you have an appointment at a UnityPoint Health location, please wear a mask or face covering except for children under two years old, anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated or unable to remove the mask without assistance.
Hospital Visitor Restrictions
To protect our patients, families and health care workers during the global outbreak of COVID-19 the following visitor restrictions are being implemented at UnityPoint Health – Grinnell Regional Medical Center.
Effective Wednesday, March 25, visitors are NOT allowed unless the visitor is a designated caregiver AND the patient falls into one of five categories listed below:
- The patient is imminently dying.
- The patient is a minor. One parent/designated caregiver will be allowed to be present in the room to support care of the patient.
- The patient is suffering from confusion or delirium. One designated caregiver may be present to support the care of the patient.
- In maternity, one designated caregiver/support person will be allowed to be in the room to support the mother.
- Patients undergoing surgery or procedures may have one visitor to act as the driver for the patient.
Designated caregivers must be free of any signs of illness. Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) should not visit.
Designated caregivers include, but are not limited to:
- Spouse/significant other
- Other defined caregiver
- 16 years of age and older
- Siblings are not allowed
- Always remain in patient room as appropriate
- Free from illness such as (fever, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, vomiting or runny nose)
Designated caregivers are required to wash hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand foam/gel upon entering and exiting patient's room. Team members will provide instructions if additional personal protective equipment (PPE) is required.
We understand these visitor restrictions may be difficult for you. While we are committed to providing a family-centered care environment, right now restricting visitors is in the best interest of our patients and staff.
Thank you for your cooperation in this effort. For up-to-date information related to COVID-19, please click here or call 2-1-1.
Cancellations / Postponements / Closures / Location Updates
- Public Health services are operating out of the Ahrens Medical Arts Building, 1st floor therapy services area at 210 Fourth Ave., Grinnell.
- Health Information Management wants to make sure you have access to your medical records; visit MyUnityPoint to access your health information or call (515) 241-6306.
- Therapy Services have moved back to their original location of the Ahrens Medical Arts Building, 1st floor at 210 Fourth Ave., Grinnell.
- The Glass Gift Box gift shop is closed until further notice.
- Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab programs at GRMC are suspended until further notice.
- Breastfeeding Education Classes have been canceled through May.
- Childbirth and Prenatal Classes have been canceled through May.
- Senior Education Programs (SEED ) have been canceled through June.
- The Eating with Diabetes & Pre-Diabetes classes on April 16 and May 19 have been canceled.
- The Diabetes Support Group has been canceled through the month of May.