Becoming a Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at UnityPoint Health - Grinnell Regional Medical Center. Due to the sensitive nature of situations encountered in a hospital setting, GRMC has implemented an extensive screening process that includes, but is not limited to:
- Completing a background check, application, interview, health review, and orientation;
- Being at least 15 years old;
- Committing to a regular shift for a minimum of six months; and
- Read the Volunteer Handbook.
- Completing the Volunteer Application.
- Complete the Background Check.
If you are interested in volunteering at GRMC Hospice, please contact (641) 236-2418.
If you are interested in serving as a volunteer chaplain, please contact the volunteer coordinator for requirements unique to this important service at GRMC. To schedule an informational session, please call (641) 236-2043 or email the Volunteer Coordinator.
Informational Session Attendance: Prospective volunteers please complete a Volunteer Application and Background Check prior to scheduling an informational session with the volunteer coordinator. When you attend one of these hour-long sessions, you will meet staff with our Volunteer Services Department and hear about volunteer opportunities.
Parents/guardians are strongly encouraged to attend the informational session with any prospective volunteer who is under the age of 18. It will provide them with an opportunity to better understand the application process as well as provide signatures on required application documents as needed.
Once you have completed the application, GRMC conducts thorough background checks. After clearing the background checks, you must also complete:
- A Volunteer interview to discuss your skills, experience, availability and areas of interest.
- A New Volunteer Health Questionnaire to protect the health and well-being of GRMC's patients, staff, volunteers, and visitors.
- A volunteer safety agreement.
- Pledge for Confidentiality.
- Volunteer Training Questionnaire.
- New Volunteer Orientation to learn more about UnityPoint Health – Grinnell Regional Medical Center and how you will support the mission as a volunteer. The on-boarding process may be completed in as short a time as two weeks but may take a longer period of time due to a variety of factors.
Requirements to Becoming a Volunteer
Volunteer applicants must be at least 15 years of age. Additional age restrictions may be required in certain areas of the hospital. We encourage volunteers to accept bi-weekly shifts (1-4 hours) or a monthly commitment. Please carefully assess your ability to make this commitment prior to continuing in the process.
Volunteer applicants must have a Social Security number for our verification process. Individuals with the following conviction(s) are not accepted into the volunteer program: any felony, child or dependent adult abuse, drug or theft. Individuals with other types of records are considered on a case-by-case basis. Non-disclosure of criminal record is also automatic disqualification. We do not accept volunteer applicants who need to complete court-ordered community service.