Find out more about UnityPoint Health information and resources regarding COVID-19:
***In our effort to reduce community spread of COVID-19, we are asking all patients to PLEASE CALL AHEAD before visiting a clinic. If you have questions about your symptoms but do not have an established clinic or doctor, we invite you to call (641) 236-2378 for further care instruction. (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.)***
There are six confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Poweshiek County. For questions regarding COVID-19 please reference the most recent Iowa Department of Public Health information. For the most recent listing of reported cases in Iowa, please visit this page of the Iowa Department of Public Health website.
Hospital Visitor Restrictions
To protect our patients, families and health care workers during the global outbreak of COVID-19 the following visitor restrictions are being implemented at UnityPoint Health – Grinnell Regional Medical Center.
Effective Wednesday, March 25, visitors are NOT allowed unless the visitor is a designated caregiver AND the patient falls into one of five categories listed below:
Designated caregivers must be free of any signs of illness. Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) should not visit.
- The patient is imminently dying.
- The patient is a minor. One parent/designated caregiver will be allowed to be present in the room to support care of the patient.
- The patient is suffering from confusion or delirium. One designated caregiver may be present to support the care of the patient.
- In maternity, one designated caregiver/support person will be allowed to be in the room to support the mother.
- Patients undergoing surgery or procedures may have one visitor to act as the driver for the patient.
Designated caregivers include, but are not limited to:
- Spouse/significant other
- Other defined caregiver
- 16 years of age and older
- Siblings are not allowed
- Always remain in patient room as appropriate
- Free from illness such as (fever, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, vomiting or runny nose)
Designated caregivers are required to wash hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand foam/gel upon entering and exiting patient’s room. Team members will provide instructions if additional personal protective equipment (PPE) is required.
We understand these visitor restrictions may be difficult for you. While we are committed to providing a family-centered care environment, right now restricting visitors is in the best interest of our patients and staff.
Thank you for your cooperation in this effort. For up-to-date information related to COVID-19, please click here or call 2-1-1.
Please Call Ahead Before Visiting a Clinic
In an effort to best serve our patients and community we have made the decision to open a Respiratory Care Clinic in addition to our regular Walk-In Clinic.
Respiratory Care Clinic
If you are experiencing respiratory symptoms – such as fever, nasal congestion, runny nose, cough or shortness of breath – please call our Respiratory Care Clinic at (641) 236-2378 for further instruction.
Respiratory Care Clinic Hours (located at 306 4th Ave, Grinnell):
- Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The regular Walk-In Clinic will still be available to treat patients with minor injuries, burns, rashes, scrapes, sprains, etc. and can be reached at (641) 236-2378.
Walk-In Care Hours (located at 210 4th Avenue, Grinnell):
- Monday – Friday (located on 3rd floor of the Ahrens Medical Arts Building): 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday (located on 1st floor of the Ahrens Medical Arts Building): 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Cancellations / Postponements / Closures / Location Updates
- Public Health services are operating out of the Ahrens Medical Arts Building, 1st floor therapy services area at 210 Fourth Ave., Grinnell.
- Health Information Management wants to make sure you have access to your medical records; visit MyUnityPoint to access your health information or call (515) 241-6306.
- Therapy Services have moved to Postels Community Health Park located at 807 Broad St., Grinnell.
- PWA Fitness Center and Postels Community Health Park massage services are closed until further notice.
- The Glass Gift Box gift shop is closed until further notice.
- Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab programs at GRMC are suspended until further notice.
- Breastfeeding Education Classes have been cancelled through May.
- Childbirth and Prenatal Classes have been cancelled through May.
- Senior Education Programs (SEED) have been cancelled through May.
Meet and Eat Support Group has been cancelled for April 2.
- Loss of a Loved One Support Group has been cancelled for April 12.
- The Eating with Diabetes & Pre-Diabetes classes on April 16 and May 19 have been cancelled.
- The Diabetes Support Group has been cancelled through the month of May.