Congratulations! to the 2023 recipients of the automated external defibrillators (AEDs) and Stop the Bleed trauma first aid kits, distributed through St. Luke's Heart Saver Program. Recipients were notified in early February 2023 and publicly announced at a press conference on Monday, February 20, 2023.
View the full list of recipients.
As the area's nationally recognized leader in heart care, St. Luke's Heart Saver Grant Program was initiated to place critically needed AEDs and trauma first aid kits into the community, to save lives through early intervention of cardiac arrest and traumatic injuries.
Community response was overwhelming, and we received hundreds of applications.
Through the generosity of St. Luke's Foundation, St. Luke's Heart Saver Grant Program awarded more AEDs than originally planned:
- 56 organizations were awarded one Zoll Automated External Defibrillator (AED) with a Display Case and Signage.
- 92 organizations received a STOP THE BLEED® kit.
- Each organization also received CPR, First Aid and/or AED training for up to four individuals.
The use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) can literally mean the difference between life and death. Seventy (70) percent of cardiac arrests happen outside of a hospital. A staggering 70 to 90 percent of individuals with an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest die before reaching the hospital. In order to be prepared for these types of medical emergencies, having an AED on site as well as trained individuals who can use the device is critical. Nine in 10 cardiac arrest victims who receive a shock from an AED in the first minute live.
In the event of a traumatic injury, a person can die from blood loss within minutes. STOP THE BLEED® is part of a national movement to educate and arm bystanders with the items needed to address a life-threatening bleeding emergency before professional help arrives.
Grant Application Deadline: Closed on December 12, 2022, at 11:59 p.m.
Award Date: February 2023 (View recipients.)
Amount of Funding
Items provided through this grant included one or both of the following:
- Zoll Automatic External Defibrillator with display case and signage (also includes Pedi-Padz II for pediatrics).
- STOP THE BLEED® KIT Includes:
- 1 red, clearly marked Stop the Bleed package
- 1 permanent marker
- 2 pair of gloves, latex-free, LG
- C-A-T® tourniquet
- 1 emergency bandage
- 1 pair of trauma shears, 7.5"
- 2 rolls of primed, compressed gauze dressing
- Applying organization were required to reside in a community serving Benton, Jones or Linn counties.
- Applying organization were required to be a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization or a government entity.
- Example: Organizations that host large gatherings like schools, senior and community centers, fitness centers, churches, sports venues, pools, libraries.
- Example: Organizations that provide emergency care in the pre-hospital environment, which can include Ambulance Services, Paramedics, Fire and Rescue Departments, Law Enforcement and First Responders.
Organizations selected to receive an AED or Stop the Bleed Kit (STBK) from St. Luke's, were required to have an authorized individual sign an AED/STOP THE BLEED® KIT Grant Agreement as a condition of the donation and prior to receipt of the item(s). As part of the Grant Agreement, each organization agreed to assume full responsibility for all aspects of their AED and STOP THE BLEED® KIT and comply with all relevant laws, regulations and standards of care applicable to their organization.
St. Luke's did not consider requests for individuals and/or families.
No formal grant report is required. But in the event, the AED/STOP THE BLEED® KIT was utilized by your organization, please reach out to the media contact for the Cedar Rapids region.