Treatment of Vessels Outside the Heart
Vascular Surgery includes treatment of all vessels outside the heart and is dedicated to the care of patients with disorders of the circulatory system.
Vascular Surgery at UnityPoint Health - Trinity is dedicated to providing the most up-to-date techniques in treating the vascular patient. In the past decade, there have been numerous diagnostic and surgical technological advances such as: ultrasound enhancement, angioplasty, stenting devices and improved imaging techniques.
Vascular surgery is commonly used for patients with peripheral vascular and venous diseases, aneurysms, strokes and carotid disease.
Vascular Services Available:
- Aortoiliac Duplex (ultrasound of the aorta) - Is an ultrasound of the aorta (large blood vessel in the abdomen) and the iliac arteries, which bring blood to the legs. Patients should follow their doctor's directions to prepare for this test.
- Arterial Doppler Studies - Is a test that can be performed on the arms or legs. Patients with pain when walking, pain in arms or legs or sores on toes and feet are candidates for this test. No preparation is necessary for this test.
- Carotid Duplex (ultrasound of blood vessels in neck) - Is an ultrasound of the carotid arteries in the neck. Patients with stroke-like symptoms (weakness or numbness of arm or leg, blurred or double vision, slurred speech or dizziness) are candidates for this test. No preparation is necessary.
- Renal Duplex (ultrasound of the kidneys) - Is an ultrasound of the kidneys and the blood vessels that bring blood to the kidneys. Patients with high blood pressure for long periods of time or kidney failure are candidates for this test. Patients should follow their doctor's directions to prepare for the test.
- Venous Duplex - Is an ultrasound of the veins of the arms or legs. Patients with pain or swelling in the arms or legs are candidates for this test. No preparation is necessary for this test.