Why Are Breast Massage And Hand Expression Important?
Breast massage/compression and hand expression:
- help you produce more milk faster
- moves milk to baby (better nursing or pumping)
- adds fat to your milk and helps to soften your breasts
Use breast massage/compression:
- 1 minute before breastfeeding or pumping
- During breastfeeding (if baby is sleepy, this squirts milk to baby so baby stays vigorous)
- During pumping to keep more milk flowing
- During engorgement to help soften your breasts
Please call the Trinity Birth Center's Lactation Consultant or educator with questions at (515) 574-6052.