Incontinence, or the uncontrolled release of urine, affects both men and women. Although often associated with getting older, incontinence can happen to individuals of any age. Aging, post pregnancy, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, surgery recovery, low back or spinal issues are some of the many common reasons a person may be experiencing incontinence.
Historically, a common form of initial treatment for incontinence is behavioral modifications and medication. However, with advances in technology, UnityPoint Clinic Urology offers patients numerous in-office treatment options.
Transvaginal, rectal, or neurostimulator devices that send a frequency impulse to stimulate the muscles and nerves to treat incontinence in both women and men are effective in treating incontinence.
The Latest Treatment Options Include:
- InTone: Treats women suffering from overactive bladder and/or stress induced urinary incontinence.
- InTone MV: Treats women and men suffering from urinary or bowel incontinence.
- Apex: Treats women with stress induced urinary incontinence by restoring the pelvic floor musculature.
- Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation (PTNS): treats patients with overactive bladder by inserting a thin needle electrode near the ankle that provides nerve stimulation.
- Verify Evaluation System for InterStim: Evaluates the therapeutic stimulation of the sacral nerve on patients with overactive bladder, urinary urge incontinence, nonobstructive urinary retention or chronic fecal incontinence to identify patients who are good candidates for Sacral Neuromodulation.
To learn more, please contact UnityPoint Clinic Urology at (563) 557-5971.