How Do I Know My Baby Is Getting Enough Milk?
- Your breasts feel heavier as you make more milk.
- Your breasts begin to feel softer after nursing.
- You hear more and more swallows with each feeding.
- In the hospital, babies should have about 1 wet and 1 dirty diaper for each day of age.
- By 5-6 days of age, baby should have 5 or more wets & 3-4 or more dirty diapers each 24 hours.
- The wet diapers become larger & heavier, the dirty diapers should change to greenish-brownish or runny yellow stools by 4-5 days of age.
- By 4-5 days of age, babies begin to gain about ½ to 1 oz (15-30ml) each day.
Please call the UnityPoint Health Finley Hospital Lactation Consultant with questions at (563) 557-2837.