The next time you are admitted to UnityPoint Health - Finley Hospital, expect to see a hospitalist. When you have heart troubles you see a cardiologist, when you have a baby you see an obstetrician, and when you are in the hospital, you see a hospitalist.
Hospitalists at Finley
A hospitalist is a doctor who specializes in caring for hospitalized patients. Finley Hospital, in collaboration with Grand River Medical Group, has established a team of highly qualified, experienced physicians for the Finley Hospitalist Team. Hospitalists work in partnership with your referring physician. Your primary doctor may ask that a hospitalist direct your care during your hospital stay.
What do hospitalists do?
The hospitalist care team will be there for you throughout your hospital stay. During your stay, they will:
- Focus on your care, assessing and treating your medical condition.
- Coordinate your hospital care, including all diagnostic tests such as x-rays, blood test, and other exams.
- Arrange for specialty care, such as therapy or consultations with specialists.
- Respond to your needs day or night because their team works at the hospital 24/7.
- Keep your primary care doctor informed of your progress.
- Transition your care back to your primary care physician when you are ready to be discharged from the hospital.
Who is on the hospitalist team?
In addition to the doctors, the hospitalist team includes nurse practitioners (ARNPs) and nurses (RNs). The doctors are available around the clock to care for patients in the hospital. To speak with your hospitalist at any time while you or a family member is in the hospital, please contact your nurse.
How will my primary care doctor know what's happening during my stay at the hospital?
Your doctor is fully aware of the fact that you are here and has requested the hospitalist to care for his/her patients that require hospitalization. Your physician will be notified of your admission and will be kept abreast of any significant changes that occur during your hospital stay. Once you are discharged, your doctor will be notified in writing about the details of your hospitalization. Every effort is made to assure smooth transition back to your primary care physician.
What are the advantages of being cared for by a hospitalist?
- Knowing their hospitalized patients are receiving expert care, primary care doctors can spend more uninterrupted time caring for their office-based patients.
- In case of an emergency, a hospitalist is here 24 hours a day. Hospitalists are easily accessible for questions or concerns from you or your family.
- Hospitalists know every specialist and department at Finley. This allows them to function efficiently in ordering tests and consulting other specialists quickly.
- Hospitalists assist you through a smooth and speedy recovery process by following up on tests and adjusting your treatment plan throughout the day based on those test results.
- Hospitalists ensure you know the plan each day, the plan for your stay and educate you about your medical condition.