Pediatric Rehabilitation Growth and Expansion
The Pediatric Rehabilitation team at UnityPoint Health - Finley Hospital is dedicated to providing a supportive environment for each and every child to be the best they can be. Our intensive therapy programs help bridge the gap from disabilities to abilities so children can become independent and engage in our communities during their childhood and into adulthood.
While the services and reputation of the pediatric rehabilitation team has remained strong and grown over the last 18 years, the building's therapy and program areas are much the same as they were in 2001.
For pediatric rehabilitation to continue its important mission of improving the lives of children in our community, it is important that we address our urgent needs.
The time has come to provide the best possible facility to mirror the high level of care and expertise that is provided to our patients. The move to a larger space will offer an attractive, modern facility that will serve children in our community for years to come to:
Infants who are diagnosed with syndromes, and children who experience life-changing illnesses, diseases or accidents need assistance during the healing, learning, playing and growing process.
Learning is a fundamental part of being human, and yet our patients have varying levels of physical and mental challenges, and may not learn the way other children do.
Pediatric rehabilitation programs infuse lots of play into every area of therapy to engage their young patients in learning, exercising and playing toward their next goal. Every child is unique, and so every therapy plan is unique, too.
Pediatric rehabilitation programs can be long-term therapy programs for growing children – often 2 to 10 years long – as they learn how to eat, move, walk, communicate, play and more.
Expansion of our Pediatric Rehabilitation Clinic is estimated to be completed in Fall 2020. Currently 1,400 square feet of space is dedicated to pediatric therapy. We look to expand to 6,200 square feet of therapy space to provide adequate room for best practice therapies, and expand services to support additional patients who are currently underserved.
Plans call for relocating to a larger space that will allow for:
- Safe and ADA compliant parking area and entrance
- The program will be consolidated onto one floor
- Bright, welcoming and inclusive waiting area
- Four treatment rooms for occupational therapy, physical therapy and serial casting
- Feeding and nutrition therapy room with kitchen for safe food handling
- Treadmill room to increase strength and endurance
- Large family restroom equipped for all ages and abilities
- Play area (850 square feet) will feature playground style equipment, such as a stair system, jumping/crashing pads, zip line, swing, and a climbing wall that allow the kids to learn to participate in play activities, as well as improve their balance and strength.
- Gym area will be a large and open space (1,400 square feet) that will feature a larger swing system, large floor mats for therapy ball and other balancing activities, as well as open space for gait training, scooterboard tasks, tricycles, and other activities for older, or more advanced children to build their endurance.
The goal of this project is to raise $1.2 million from community partnerships to fully fund an updated, expanded facility. The expansion will allow the program to be more inclusive to meet the growing number and needs of our youngest patients, and assist us in providing best outcome every patient, every time.
Ways To Give
You can help make this project become a reality when you support it with your gift. Please know your gift to the Finley Health Foundation is tax-deductible to the greatest extent of the law.
When you choose the best way for you, please give generously:
- Gifts may be made in cash and securities.
- Gifts can include real estate, life insurance, personal property and IRA Distribution.
- Matching gifts through your employer or spouse's employer can double, or even triple your gift.
- Pledges are accepted and may be paid over a maximum of two years.
- Your gift may be made in honor or in memory of someone. A letter recognizing your gift will be mailed to the person you are honoring or the family of the person you are memorializing.
All gifts will be restricted to the expansion of the Pediatric Rehabilitation Project.
Contributors of $1,000 or more will be recognized for their generosity on the donor wall located within Finley Hospital.
Naming opportunities available as a result of a major gift. Recognition of these gifts will appear in a prominent place in the designated area.
For more information, contact to the Finley Health Foundation at (563) 589-2572 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.