Cardiac rehabilitation is a medically supervised program designed to improve your cardiovascular health.
Participation in a Cardiac Rehab program can reduce the risk of death from cardiac causes. Cardiac rehabilitation (CR) is a comprehensive secondary prevention program designed to improve cardiovascular health following a cardiac-related event or procedure such as heart attack, heart failure, angioplasty, stents, heart surgery and peripheral vascular disease.
You don’t need to face your recovery alone. Cardiac rehabilitation is a team effort placing the patient as the leader of the team to individualize the program to your specific needs and goals.
You will partner with nurses, exercise physiologists, and nutritionists to take charge of the choices, lifestyle and habits that affect your heart.
Benefits of Cardiac Rehabilitation:
• Live longer and lessen your chances for another heart attack or heart procedure. Recent scientific studies have shown that people who complete a cardiac rehabilitation program can increase their life expectancy by up to 5 years.
• Help with managing new medications by promoting medication education and adherence with increase control of your blood pressure, cholesterol levels and diabetes.
• Communication with your doctors and other healthcare professionals regarding your progress following your heart event.
• Lessen the physical and emotional effects of heart disease. Psychological and stress management can help you identify and tackle everyday sources of stress and lessen the emotional effect of heart disease.
• Improve your stamina and strength, getting you back to your usual activities, including work, hobbies, and regular exercise. Assistance with beginning and maintaining a personalized exercise plan that works for you. Exercise gets your heart pumping and your entire cardiovascular system working.
• Improve your confidence and well-being by having experienced staff available to monitor and advance your fitness levels and answer your questions.
• Assessment of your personal risk factors for heart disease and assistance and support to make healthy life-style choices. Education is provided to maintain a healthy weight, heart healthy eating and to reduce tobacco use or help with tobacco cessation.
The Cardiac Rehabilitation department at UnityPoint Health – Finley Hospital is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
AACVPR-certified programs are leaders in cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation because they offer the most advanced practices available and have proven track records of high-quality patient care. To earn accreditation, the program participates in a process that requires extensive documentation of their practices.
As the only peer-review accreditation process, AACVPR Program Certification is designed to review individual programs for adherence to the highest standards and guidelines developed and published by a group of professional societies in the field.
To learn more about Cardiac Rehabilitation at UnityPoint Health – Finley Hospital, visit this link.
Jolene Stackis BSN, RN, CCRP is the lead nurse at UnityPoint Health - Finley Hospital Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation department. She is a Certified Cardiac Rehabilitation Professional, a certified personal trainer, and a certified health coach.