Preliminary Year in Internal Medicine
The University of Iowa - Des Moines Internal Medicine Residency program offers two one-year preliminary internal medicine positions designed to provide a solid year of internal medicine for those preparing to enter other specialties. The preliminary year provides exposure to diverse medical problems that provide a foundation for further training in a variety of different specialties. Note that the preliminary medicine residents have a traditional, not block, schedule.
If after completing the preliminary year, you choose to continue training in internal medicine, this preliminary year meets all requirements of the American Board of Internal Medicine for the first year of training. You would only need to complete two additional years of internal medicine residency training to meet board eligibility requirements.
The preliminary year consists of the following schedule:
- Inpatient General Internal Medicine, IMMC, VAMC, BMC (16 weeks)
- Inpatient Pulmonary Medicine, IMMC (4 weeks)
- Inpatient Gastroenterology, IMMC (4 weeks)
- ICU Medicine, IMMC (4 weeks)
- Night Medicine (Mon-Fri) (2 weeks)
- Emergency Medicine, IMMC (4 weeks)
- Ambulatory Medicine (4 weeks)
- Electives (14 weeks)