Updates, Closings & Restrictions
Hospital Visitor Restrictions
Updated October 14, 2020
For the safety of our patients and team members, visitors are restricted at all UnityPoint Health – Des Moines hospitals. Only approved support people and designated caregivers of hospitalized patients will be allowed access.
While meeting the needs of our patients, we remain committed to limiting the number of people inside the hospital to keep team members and patients safe. Because of this, we have a zero tolerance for those unwilling to comply with our restrictions.
Support Person Guidelines:
Hospitalized patients will be allowed to identify two individuals as their support people, but only one approved support person is allowed per day between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Patients must identify their support people upon admission or as soon after as possible.
Only one approved support person is allowed each day.
- Hours are limited to 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The support person will be required to check in each day at the hospital entrance and receive a wrist band that must be worn while in the hospital.
– If the support person leaves and returns during the day, they will be required to show
the wrist band in order to return to the patient room.
- The support person will be screened for symptoms of COVID-19 and must be free from
any signs of illness, such as: Fever, Sore throat, Cough, Diarrhea, Vomiting, Runny nose.
- The support person must wear a mask the entire time they are in the hospital, including in
the patient room.
- The support person must remain in the patient room as appropriate.
- Individuals under the age of 16 are not allowed to be a support person.
- Patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 will not be allowed to have a support person.
Designated Caregiver Guidelines
A designated caregiver(s) will be allowed in the following circumstances:
- A patient is imminently dying: Two caregivers will be allowed at a time; caregivers may rotate at the discretion of the clinical care team. Visitors under the age of 18 may be allowed in this case, at the discretion of the clinical care team.
- The patient is being treated in an Emergency Department, Outpatient Areas, Clinics and/or Surgery: One designated caregiver is allowed.
- The patient is a minor under the age of 18 years: Up to two parents /designated caregivers/guardian at a time will be allowed in the patient's room to support the care of the patient.
- The patient is suffering from confusion or delirium: One designated caregiver will be allowed in the patient's room to support the care of the patient.
- In Maternity Services (Labor & Delivery, Postpartum): One designated caregiver/support person and one Doula /outside birth coach will be allowed in the patient's room to support the care of the patient.
- Siblings under the age of 16 are not allowed.
- Must always remain in patient room as appropriate.
- Free from illness such as (fever, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, vomiting or runny nose).
- Limit movement within the facility and avoid common areas (cafeterias will not be open to the public).
We understand these restrictions may be difficult for you. While we are committed to providing a family-centered care environment, right now restricting visitors is in the best interest of our patients and team members.
Restricted Visitor Entrances
In an effort to further protect our team members and patients, UnityPoint Health – Des Moines will be redirecting all visitors to specific entrances on each of our campuses. Please see changes to our entrances for each campus listed below.
Iowa Methodist Medical Center/Blank Children's Hospital
Iowa Lutheran Hospital
- Main Entrance located on the North side of Iowa Methodist Medical Center (entrance 2). Access to the Iowa Methodist Medical Center Main Entrance will be closed on Saturday and Sunday, effective June 13.
- Emergency Department Entrance is open 24/7.
- Atrium Entrance from the Parking Ramp (entrance 5). Access to the Iowa Methodist Medical Center Parking Ramp and Atrium Entrance will be closed from 8 p.m. to 4:30 a.m., 7 days a week to further protect our team members. (Effective, Wednesday, May 13)
- Powell 1 Entrance (entrance 6) is open 24/7.
- Please note that all Medical Office Building Entrances will remain open for patients, visitors and employees to enter through.
- See map for entrance locations.
Methodist West Hospital
- Emergency Department Entrance
- Emergency Department Entrance
Visitor restrictions are temporary and subject to change as necessary
Delivery Guidelines for Patient Belongings and Personal Items
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines will be limiting the delivery of personal items to patients to the following times: between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. No weekend delivery.
Based on where patients are hospitalized, deliveries must be made to:
- Methodist West Hospital Emergency Department
- Iowa Lutheran Hospital Emergency Department
- Iowa Methodist Medical Center Main Entrance & Powell 1 Entrance
Items should be limited to small items that a patient might need during their stay and should be packaged in a bag, box or container. Packages should be small in order to facilitate the logistics of delivery. Items that are acceptable include, but are not limited to:
- Items for personal care (eyeglasses, hearing aids/batteries, dentures, razor, toothbrush, CPAP machines)
- Items for comfort (shoes or slippers, clothing items including underclothes)
- Items for entertainment and communication (small electronic devices and chargers, flowers, books, magazines, etc.)
- Food is acceptable and should be a single serving. We do not have the ability to manage leftovers and food cannot be stored in patient rooms.
Ankeny Medical Park Pharmacy Offers Curbside Delivery
Ankeny Medical Park Pharmacy will temporarily offer curbside delivery effective Monday, March 30, 2020. Patients will need to drive up to the north entrance, call the pharmacy at (515) 965-4680, and they will deliver prescriptions and over-the-counter items to the car.
The pharmacy lobby will be closed to the public for the safety of our patients and employees. We will continue to deliver employee prescriptions to Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Methodist West Hospital and Iowa Methodist Medical Center.
UnityPoint Clinic Updates
To protect our patients, families and health care workers during the global outbreak of COVID-19 the following visitor restrictions are being implemented at UnityPoint Clinic. Effective immediately the following temporary visitor restrictions will be implemented. Only designated caregivers allowed.
Designated caregivers must be free of any signs of illness. Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) should not visit.
Designated caregivers include, but are not limited to:
- Spouse/significant other
- Other defined caregiver
- 16 years of age and older
- Siblings are not allowed
- Always remain in patient room as appropriate
- Limit movement within the facility and avoid common areas
- Free from illness such as (fever, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, vomiting or runny nose)
Exceptions may be made at UnityPoint Clinic in certain situations and can be discussed with patient care teams.
Changes to Existing and Future Appointments for UnityPoint Clinic Central Iowa
To reduce community spread of COVID-19, we're asking all patients to please call ahead before visiting a clinic and wear a mask or face covering if you have an appointment at a UnityPoint Health location.
Changes to Clinics and Clinic Hours
- UnityPoint Clinic Pediatrics - Lakeview will no longer offer weekend hours
- UnityPoint Clinic Pediatrics - Ankeny Medical Park will no longer offer weekend hours
- UnityPoint Clinic Pediatrics - Walnut Creek will be open Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to Noon for newborn appointments only.
Additional Information and Updates
Closings and Cancellations
- Beyond Birth: The First Year Class
- Birth and Baby Care Classes (childbirth education)
- Breastfeeding Support Groups
- EMPOWER: The salon will be closed until further notice. The boutique is available by appointment only. Call 515-241-4243 to schedule an appointment.
- Hannah Geneser Learning Center & Safety Store - closed until further notice. For assistance with your safety questions and safety product needs please call the Safety Store at 515-241-6706.
- John Stoddard Cancer Center Support Groups (all groups)
- Maternity Tours
- Powell CDC Public Education
- Stroke Club Meetings - suspended until further notice
- The Not New Shop
- Total Joint Class at Iowa Lutheran Hospital and Methodist West Hospital
As of March 10, 2020, UnityPoint Health is restricting in-person, vendor visits for sales and marketing calls, routine business reviews, and any other non-critical meetings. Vendor visits required for direct patient care or business critical functions (ex: equipment repair) are permissible with the appropriate screening and precautions. This change is to reduce risk of exposure to patients, team members and vendors during the global outbreak of COVID-19.
We will communicate accordingly when in-person vendor visits are reinstated. Thank you for your cooperation.
Giving Toys and Gifts to Child Life during COVID - 19
In response to the global outbreak of COVID-19, some changes have been made to our donation process. If you are interested in donating toys and activities to children and families at Blank Children's, please check out our Amazon Registry for items that would be most helpful during this time.
In efforts to protect patients, families and staff, we are not currently accepting any face-to-face donations dropped off to the hospital.
If you have questions or need assistance navigating the Amazon registry, please call 515-241-6152 or e-mail DM_childlifewishlist@unitypoint.org.