Purpose & Intended Audience
To provide physicians, nurses, paramedics and respiratory therapists current concepts of advanced pediatric life support as defined by the American Heart Association.
Provide proof of current American Heart Association (AHA) PALS Provider status.
Willingness to teach a minimum of 4 courses in a 2 year period.
Before registering for this course, contact Terry Neal to ensure eligibility at Terry.Neal@unitypoint.org
Part 1: PALS Instructor Essentials
The following items are required to be completed before the course.
- Submit the following items by email to Terry Neal at Terry.Neal@unitypoint.org: registration form, instructor candidate form, alignment form and a current PALS Provider card.
- PALS Instructor Essentials Course: this online program will be completed at participants own pace (approx. 2 hours). The access code to this program will be given to participation after the information above is received. Once this is finished the certificate at the end of the program needs to be printed as proof of completion.
- Upon completion of Part 1, email the PALS Instructor Essentials Certificate to Terry Neal. This is to be completed and received at least 2 weeks prior to the course date.
- At the completion of the PALS Instructor Course, participants will be scheduled to teach in a course at the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Training Center to be monitored by PALS Training Center Faculty. This is the final step to receive instructor status. This must be done before instructors can teach independently.
- Monitoring is preferred to be completed within 90 days, but must be completed within 6 months.
- An additional charge for monitoring will be based on location:
- $100 at a UnityPoint Health - Des Moines course
- $200 for any site other than UnityPoint Health - Des Moines
Part 2: PALS Instructor Course
$250.00. The registration fee includes; a PALS Instructor Manual (a PALS Provider manual is not included), nursing contact hours and an American Heart Association PALS Instructor Card. Lunch is on your own.
At the completion of this program, the participant should be able to:
Describe the core competencies of an AHA instructor.
Identify resources available to an AHA instructor.
Describe how to use discipline-specific AHA instructor materials.
Demonstrate effective feedback and remediation techniques.
Continuing Education Credits
- Nurses: 8 Nursing Contact Hours approved by Iowa Board of Nursing Provider #31, UnityPoint Health - Des Moines.
- Up to 1.25 hour(s) of CME/CE/CEH credits offered through AHA for completion of the online PALS Instructor Essentials.
The American Heart Association will issue a card verifying the successful completion of the PALS Instructor Course. Renewal is required every 2 years to maintain instructor status.
Blank Children's Hospital
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
The class will take place in the Anna Blank Conference Room 2 (Center for Advocacy and Outreach), Lower Level of the Anna Blank Building
Blank Children's Hospital reserves the right to cancel the program due to insufficient enrollment or inclement weather. In this event, you will be notified and your entire registration fee refunded.
A processing fee of $30 plus the cost of the manual will be retained for cancellations less than 14 business days prior to the course.
Please contact Terry Neal at Terry.Neal@unitypoint.org or at 515-241-6611.